Satriani meet/greet and gear tour

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Did the Satch meet & greet last night and got the gear tour.

First of course the meet part. I've seen him quite a few times and I've met him before but it's always fun. He's high energy and a bit intense although he was more mellow last night than the last time I met him, which was...holy cow it's been more than 15 years (we're all getting older). I asked him about the range of gain he achieves with picking dynamics and riding his guitar volume control, using varying rigs over the course of his career to achieve similar results. I was curious as to whether he had some insights that held true across different rigs about achieving such a broad range of gain with right hand control. We chatted about how he sets up for dynamic playing versus full-on gain but he did reiterate that most of it comes from the hands and the rest is just finding the sweet spots for dynamic versus compressed gain characteristics. He was very gracious.

Then the stage tour...Joe of course had a nice rack of axes

And a nice row of amps (two backup)

But when I looked at his pedalboard...could that be a Fractal MFC101 and expression pedal?? Yes!

I looked at a tech and said, "fess up, where is the Axe FX?" He laughed and said "it's back there. He uses it mostly for FX, he doesn't use the amp models very much. So I look behind the row of amps, and there they are:

So I get a little closer, and sure enough, at least on the baseline patch no amp model is activated. But the tech did seem to suggest he used some of the models.

Mike Keneally was playing with him, who we all know is a first-order badass in his own right. He had two keyboards which I didn't shoot, but he was using a Rivera Knucklehead Tre Reverb for his guitars. Sitting on yet another Axe FX. And the tech mentioned that the Axe FX was actually being used for the keyboards (?!)

Bryan Beller's bass rig had a few thousand watts happening

It was a great show. Joe kicked ass as always, as did Mike and the rest of the band.

Last edited:

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
Nice! I first saw him many years ago with Eric Johnson as the opening act. Eric was really great, but Satch with Stu Hamm showed why they were the headliners.

SL_22

thanks for posting the photos. he's down in new Orleans tonight. doubt I get out there. his tone is one of my favorites. did he only do the songs on the setlist?
I saw video from an earlier show in California where he played for over an hour and a half. sounded fantastic. what's the blue pedal next to the evh flanger?
glad you enjoyed the show, satch always comes across as a very nice guy.

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
thanks for posting the photos. he's down in new Orleans tonight. doubt I get out there. his tone is one of my favorites. did he only do the songs on the setlist?
I saw video from an earlier show in California where he played for over an hour and a half. sounded fantastic. what's the blue pedal next to the evh flanger?
glad you enjoyed the show, satch always comes across as a very nice guy.
My wife's sister and brother in-law are doing the meet and greet tonight in NOLA.

That set list was only the first set. They did a 15 minute break and then a second full set plus two encore tunes.

The blue pedal is a Fulltone Octafuzz

Thanks for sharing- Keneally might just be my favorite musician on the planet right now.
And i definitely need to check out Joe's recent albums...

eddyrox

i Love satch! I did the meet/greet back on the 2013 "Club Joe"/Unstoppable Momentum tour - same experience - great wonderful guy - one of the all time best!!

ungarn

Thanks for sharing!
Satch (and Kenealley) definitely good guys and incredible musicians.
For those that have not checked out the latest Shockwave Supernova...it may be Satch's best album front to back.

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
Great pictures @xjojox!

The trading solos thing that Joe and Mike do in the first set is mind blowingly good, eh? I never wanted that to end when I caught The Fox show. I really hope they release this tour's audio at some point. I'm so spoiled with the bands I normally see live; most of them offer board tapes of their show for purchase immediately afterwards. I found myself really wishing Joe had done that!

The Axe-Fx is working its way in to Joe's rig, more and more. Sounds great. Travels well. I got to help him set it all up for the European tour and then we did a touch up before the NA tour kicked off. Super amazing guy to work with. First time we got together this crazy dude who said he was a singer dropped by the studio and made me take a picture with him. :D

And Hanging out after The Fox show last month:

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Great pix Ian! I have tons of respect for Mike Keneally, total package. What a great musician. I wish I could have met him. And Sammy has one of rock's great voices.

I was third row center left, in front of Joe and just off-axis from his "beam". So I heard Joe loud and clear. The bad thing about sitting so close is you don't get much of the FOH mix, and I could only barely hear Mike, which broke my heart. I caught his eye a few times and let him know I loved what he was doing, and maybe I'm blowing pink smoke up my own arse but I got the impression that I got a nod back from him.

I gig and record with an Axe FX. I need so many tones live that it becomes too elaborate to use an amp, processors, multiple cables, midi it all up, etc. I do use a power amp and guitar cab rather than a FRFR rig because it feels much more organic to me. At home by the fire I still love the experience of the real thing (as I'm sure Cliff does) but as a tone generator at the heart of a versatile live rig, the Axe is hard to beat if you are a former "rack" guy like me.

Last edited:

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
I caught his eye a few times and let him know I loved what he was doing, and maybe I'm blowing pink smoke up my own arse but I got the impression that I got a nod back from him.
I definitely don't think you're blowing smoke. Both Mike and Joe are exceptionally good at making sure they're communicating with the audience. And I think they're pretty genuine when they acknowledge fans who let them keep on keeping on doing what they love.

jrkoosh

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for posting! I hadn't listened to Satch for years, and then heard him on the No guitar is safe poccast. I really dig the new cd

jakethesnake

very cool. his downsized his pedal board quite a bit from what I remember. probably due to the channels on the Marshall and Axe FX.

anuj

Gold Supporting Member
Caught the show in Reno; did the meet+greet+stage tour, and had a thoroughly enjoyable hang courtesy Mike K. :)

Some of my photos (covering some ground not already covered above):
Joe guitars:

Harmonica rig:

Mike guitars:

Mike's board:

Bryan's basses:

Bryan's board:

Marco!

After show with Mike & Bryan:

Breakfast!

Trending Topics