Satriani sound help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeP, Aug 10, 2005.

1. MikeP

MikeP Member

Would anyone here know a pedal that would give a sound/tonelike Satriani gets on Down,down,down? It is on his Joe Satriani album (1995) The one with cool #9 .......

The tone is tubular sustain a round kind tone ;)

Thanks

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

Paging CliffC...
    :p

3. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Satch went stripped down for that album. My guess is that it is a cranked marshall with the guitar volume rolled way off for the first part.

4. MikeP

MikeP Member

I thought so too. But wondered if anyone knew of a pedal to recreate that type of tone in a lower volume setting.
    Thanks

5. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

The other dude is right, use a jcm 800 marshall wide, better yet a real plexi marshall with the power supply hooked to a variac balls out! Satch also used a neve pre amp (3000 USD) in the studio, Brent Averill sells replica neve pre amp for about 1400 USD.
    The best Satriani pedal is the boss DS-1 ultra mod and the SEM mod. In fact, Steve Vai bought 3 of these and gave Satriani one to use live. hope that helps
    peace

6. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

It is tough to get those rolled off nuance without a pretty wide open amp. If you have a tube amp, an attenuator like a THD hotplate would be very helpful but if I had to stab at it with a cheapish pedal line up I would say:

Boss DS-1 or BD-2 set below 12oclock with boosted volume running before a good quality compressor set at light compression into a decent tube amp. You need some light compression to emulate the natural compression of a cranked tube amp. You will have to tweak your amp to get the same tonal structure and fine tune with your guitars tone and volume controls.

Note that Satch is really wringing tone out of every note on that album so you will need some serious right hand definition in your playing.

7. MikeP

MikeP Member

Thanks Jonny
    I actually have a DS-1 & a mxr compressor that I rarely use.
    I will give that a try
    Mike

8. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

If your DS-1 is one of the newer ones, it will sound too ratty.

I have an Analog Mike modded one, and two or three vintage
    ones from the late 70's and Early 80's if you are interested.

9. Tchello

Tchello Member

For a JS sound you should try a Marshall JCM 800 and a Keeley DS1 Ultra on SEM mode with very little gain. I think that he uses it like a booster.

10. morbid

morbid Member

zombie thread ALERT

thought it would be funny to bring back to the living...

lesson here, is that great playing can be done with minimal gear.. my favorite joe album is actually 'not of this earth', which probably had a relatively basic setup.. maybe a chorus,od,, and?

at some point i got the vox time machine, but my name still ain't joe
    but thats after i figured that buying the ibanez Gemini wont change my name to steve,,,
    didnt prevent me from getting the bad horsie2 though...

11. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

He uses a lot of stuff in the studio. Cornford. Peavey. Marshall. Soldano.