Saul Koll.....yeah

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Zen_Guitar, Dec 27, 2017.

1. ZepFuzz05

ZepFuzz05 Member

I owned a PBG-built Troubadour II at one point that had some minor but persistent electrical issues. Despite my frustration and pestering via email, Saul was extremely patient, inquisitive, helpful, and kind through the process. If my tastes ever lead me back toward that type of instrument, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one built by Saul himself - he seems like a masterful builder and just a good dude.

Zen_Guitar likes this.
  2. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Here's my Tornado, which is about 9 years old. After playing a guitar with Jason Lollar's gold foil pickups (and having Jason, who was standing next to me at the time, tell me "you're the player I made those pickups for!") I asked Saul if he'd be willing to replace the P-90s that came in the guitar with the gold foils. Oh, and carve out a spot for a third pickup, and rewire the whole thing to my specs. Saul was thrilled to be tasked with this project, and I'm thrilled with the result.

[​IMG]

derekd, erksin, Musicmaster and 6 others like this.
  3. kingsleyd

Just noticed that my guitar is the one pictured on the "Tornado" model page on Saul's website. In its previous incarnation. You can see that Saul not only changed the pickups, he changed the bridge as well. (the new one, which I have in a couple of other guitars as well, is from Jason Schroeder)

[​IMG]

erksin, Furilla and Zen_Guitar like this.
  4. Furilla

Furilla Artsy AF RN Gold Supporting Member

Extremely tasty.

Zen_Guitar likes this.
  5. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

"instantly comfortable" - he got that right

Jaya and Zen_Guitar like this.
  6. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

Saul's an incredible luthier, a great artist and an even better human being.

whuppo and Zen_Guitar like this.
  7. kingsleyd

Me, brother Jon, and Saul at NAMM last year. Saul won NAMM by getting his vintage VW pickup into hall E to be his "booth." It was awesome.

Jon's guitar is a fretless Tornado, btw.

[​IMG]

8. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

Wow! Thanks for all of this. I'm so lucky. I love my gig and am so blessed that many others do too. I head out to the shop each morning and every day am excited and eager to be there, designing and building stuff. I do my best to listen and really hear what a player wants in their instrument and then go to work to try to deliver.
    I build the standard foundation instruments for our great dealers. For the direct customs it's all about trying to match the needs and personality of that player. I get requests from "Here is exactly what I want" to "Do something kinda woody, no purple..." and everything in between. Each and all are challenging- in a good way.
    Thirty years in, I'm still learning, still taking chances, Trying new every day, still gambling. Mostly I'm winning. With hundreds and hundreds of instruments custom designed, hand made, there most certainly has been the random EFF UP, super fail,super late, but that's how you learn and I do my best to fix things. Thanks for all the support!Always striving to do better.
    I'll be at NAMM in a few weeks. We'll be bringing the truck Kingsley! and a whole mess of cool guitars.
    Thanks to all who like what I do, wait for what I do, pay me for what I do-
    And keep making music with what I do.
    Cheers!

9. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Great to see that video!
    Saul built my #1 in 2004 that got my mind off the buy/sell game and onto the music ...the instrument was the gateway. As my style and gig needs evolved I went through a few guitars for a jazz tone and things didn't add up so I asked Saul if he could make me a jazz box that did more than Jazz .... BINGO ...he delivered something beyond my hopes. The only problem was that I was losing sleep because my new #1 was a one off. If something happened to it I`d be kicked to the side of the road. SO ... I sold my old #1 for my new #1 backup. THAT`s how much I love his work. I`m lucky enough to have known John Monteleone since I was a teen and Saul`s the only other guy who's work and creativity puts me in the same guitar trance when I play. Happy and heathy new year to you Saul Koll !!

10. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I've never owned a Koll, but played a reliced black one at NAMM several years ago that was just amazing...seems like a really good guy as well.

Zen_Guitar likes this.
  11. stashman

stashman Supporting Member

12. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

toasting saul!

a friend, a master builder, a real-deal artisan, a gentleman w/open mind & ready skills which arrive with a truly integrating (& integrated) personal aesthetic, and..... a freaking dude who fosters warmth, insight, intelligence, humor.

i hope we can do another guitar together; tornado #1 & the naugahyde tornado #2 were such great experiences, with so many fantastic, tendriled results.
    i can’t remember, but i think both of these builds may have been documented here on TGP? maybe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Baemer, musicnut24-7, whuppo and 10 others like this.
  13. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Wow, that archtop with the art deco headstock is gorgeous.

Never seen a Koll archtop like that before.

musicnut24-7 and Zen_Guitar like this.
  15. stashman

stashman Supporting Member

I am not sure if he builds those anymore, believe the model was called New Rose. I think there were some more ornate ones pictured on his old website, though mine does have a pretty back.[​IMG]

musicnut24-7, Baemer, Jaya and 2 others like this.
  16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Sure is a beauty.

stashman and Zen_Guitar like this.
  17. musicnut24-7

musicnut24-7 Member

@splatt , :agree Saul is a true blessing both as a person and as a luthier! A genius mind with a big heart and beautiful soul! I'm honored to be joining the family of "Koll Players" in the near future and grateful to have been able to put my hands on Koll guitars (that I would've killed for! :idea ) owned by Saul & Eddie Martinez! :aok I was blessed to spend some time with him where the magic happens last summer! :beer:bow:beer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    MisterMitch, narad, Maggot and 7 others like this.
  18. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Silver Supporting Member

19. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

He makes some of the nicest guitars Ive ever seen. I love his jazz hollowbody guitars. I hope someday I get a chance to play one.

musicnut24-7 and Zen_Guitar like this.
  20. kingsleyd

Saul just completed these two guitars for my brother, Jon, and his son, Harrison. I was there a couple of days prior; we all visited Saul's shop. It's crazy how much Saul did in the two days between then and when he delivered them, at 7 am so they'd be there in time for J&H to fly back east with them.

Great guitars, great human being.

[​IMG]

lhallam, musicnut24-7, Jaya and 5 others like this.