Savage Amps- any love out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ogre, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Ogre

Ogre Member

I would like to hear from folks who have had close encounters with these amps, especially the Macht 6, Rohr and Glas.

2. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

I love my Glas 30 1x12 combo, what would you like to know?
    ArnieZ

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

A short take- what you love and don't love about it, similarities to the classic AC30, clean sound, overdriven sound. Thanks!

4. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

The Macht 6 has a very enjoyable feel/sound with real tube distrotion that can be used in most applications. Six watts is NOT whisper quiet, especially with the 12" speaker it comes with. It is a low-watt amp with real tone. It doesn't sound like a toy. The build quality also looks very good.

I have not played any other Savage amps, but judging from the Macht 6, I'll have to say that they are the real deal.

5. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

I live fairly close to the Savage shop, and have known them for years. Call them and ask to talk to Jeff the owner. He is a very cool guy, and is more than willing to talk amps, and tone. He will give you the low down on all the amps.

Savage does not make copies of old amps though. Just because the Glas has 4 EL84 output tubes, doesn't mean it's an AC30. The Blitz (my favorite) is not a Plexi copy. I've found that Savage amps have a unique sound that has elements of Fender, Marshall, and Vox mixed together.

Hamilton

6. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I had a Blitz 50. My only complaint is that I didn't have 2 of them to run together. The Blitz is a special amp, and if I had more money than I knew what to do with, I'd still own a Blitz or two. Built like a tank, and the tone is there in spades.

7. dzghia

dzghia Guest

I had a Macht 12 that was very well built and very loud too. Can handle a small club with no problems. It was a tad bright to my ear at bedroom level but I hardly ever play out any more. It warmed up nicely with a smooth break up when pushed though. One of our better players here has a Macht 6 that he loves. I'm sure he will share his thoughts when he comes across this post!

8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I absolutely love my Macht 6. I own some pretty nice amps (Jamisons, Komet, Victoria, Demeter) and I will put the clean tone of the Macht 6 in the same class. At low bedroom volumes, it sounds so sweet and BIG (mine has a g12H30 speaker---really not my fave speaker but perfect in this amp). It has respectable headroom, and when you turn it up it just gets bigger and fatter and gainy---reminds me of early Zeppelin. It clean up superbly with the guitar volume and loves pedals. Also, the trem is fantastic. I just put an old analog delay in front of the amp and with that clean tone and trem, I can play for hours late at night, completely satisfied and inspired. But it is more than a bedroom amp. If you miked it, and the drummer wasn't too loud, you could gig with it. The Macht 12 is not the same amp---it is twice the wattage, but the circuit is a little different from what I've been told.

9. tombo

tombo Member

+1 on what Hamilton said.

Jeff is a great guy and produces great amps. Along with amp tech Casey Gooby, they are some of the most knowledgable makers/repair guys around.

I had a Macht 12 that was great in every respect. I sold it in order to get another one in a different color. Other priorities came up, and now I'm unable to order another, but was 100% satisfied with that amp.

WARNING: If you are not the best player in the world, this amp line will let you know it. There's no coloration or extra "add on" features. They are not "Swiss Army knife" amps. What you put in is what you get out.

Check out my homepage for a Savage Audio tour.

10. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Macht 6 owner here. I'll echo the other sentiments, fantastic swirly clean tones, great gritty overdrive. I have a G12H30 in mine too. When I heard the floor model at Willies Guitar, it was this setup. I wanted to make sure mine sounded just like it, so I spec'd it to be the same. The tone control is abundantly usable, makes big changes through its travel.

[​IMG]

11. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I played a Blitz 50 that floored me at Junior's Music in Clinton, CT. The "jumped Marshall" setting was pretty much "it" as far as I'm concerned with overdriven rhythm.

12. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

Short Version: The Glas 30 can be Voxxy, Fendery, or Marshallesque. It doesn't try to clone any of them. Great usable master volume with jumpable 4 input 2 channel peamp. When the channels are not jumpered it has great cleans in either a Voxxy or Fendery vein. Tone controls are interactive allowing much variation, but still easy to dial in. Excellent reverb but not the Surfy blackface Fender type. The optimal way to get the most out of the amp with flexibility is to use it with a Switchbone type a/b/y pedal so you can go clean single channel or more gain jumprered. The amount of gain available is in Marshall territory not hi gain. Very well built, great sounding, versatile amp.
    ArnieZ

13. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I too live in the Twin Cities and have spent a fair amount of time at Jeff's shop. Absolutely first rate guy, company and amp line. Jeff and Casey are as good as they come.

I've owned two Rohrs (1 1x12 combo and 1 head and 2x12 cab) and 1 Blitz (2x12 combo). I really liked them all. The one Savage amp I really want is the 1x12 Rohr Jeff has in his shop for demos, etc. That little monster is magical.

2x12 Blitz
    [​IMG]

1x12 Rohr

[​IMG]

Rohr head and 2x12 combo

[​IMG]

14. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Cool photo tour of the Savage shop!

15. Ogre

Ogre Member

Thanks a bunch everybody!

16. oxtone

oxtone Member

Jeff has been fixing my amps for years - first out of his home, and now out of his great shop. I agree - Jeff is a great guy, as well as Casey, and the Savage crew. Jeff is one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and he sure knows his tube amps!

17. winonatele

winonatele Member

I love my Macht 6 and am hoping to find a used Glas 30 head in the future.
    The only thing about Savage is they don't hold their value very well, so you need to buy a used one or lose your butt if you buy new and sell it.

18. mnsixstring

mnsixstring Member

I picked up a used Blitz from a fellow forum memeber and have been in tone heaven ever since! I took it up to Savage (since I live pretty close also) and talked to Jeff about what speakers to put in (it came unloaded). Between myself and my bandmates we just about have the whole line (except the Macht 6, he has the 12w). A couple things about them: they are very easy to dial in good tones, they are very touch sensitive, by adjusting the volume on my guitar I get about 3-4 stages of gain from that alone, they really sound like the guitars you plug into them, and I've never heard a bad one, IMHO.

19. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my newest amp. I love it!!

20. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Hi, just wondering if you think the Blitz has a tight bottom end...I'm thinking of getting one but i want to make sure that it won't be too 'flabby' in the bottom end. Also, is it a back-breaker? Approx how much does your Blitz weigh? Thanks for the great information.

Brandon
    MN