Savage Glas 30 or Top Hat King Royale?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by agentcooper2001, Oct 13, 2005.

1. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

I'm trading my Black Cat 30r head to get a 2x12 combo amp. I'm trying to decide exactly what I want. I play alot of Tom Petty, Pink Floyd (lots of Gilmour), classic rock and alt. country, with some heavier stuff now and then.

I've been using a ZIM distortion pedal for a long time now and would like to keep using it with my next amp.

What do you guys think I should go with? Top Hat King Royale? Savage Glas 30? 65 London?

I don't get to try any of these before I buy because I live in the middle of nowhere, so I'm looking to you guys for your thoughts. I like EL84 amps alot and I'm not crazy about EL34's. I had a Hot Cat 30r and the cleans were not 3D like I prefer. Let me know what you think.

2. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

the Savage Glas 30 must be a fairly rare amp. I've never heard from anyone that's played one. All I've read is that they aren't really very vox-like.

3. Ras

Ras Guest

I never did like tophats. There are alot of tophat fans out there but i use alot of pedals and they never seem to like all the effects. I even like badcat and matchless better than tophats. If you don't like EL34's you should try KT66's. I have a Blitz with KT66's that gets really nice chimey clean tones and loves pedals. I tried a glas it seemed to do alot of tweedbassman tones which was cool but really jagged on the top end.

4. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

cool, thanks for the info. Do you think the KT-66 would have nice cleans like the Bad Cat, but get more gain, like Gilmour?

I like to use pedals and I've been reading up on the Top Hat's and I see the same thing everywhere: they don't like pedals. Well, I use alot of effects, so that's not good for me.

5. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

I have a Glas 30 with a g12h30. Great amp, has it's own sound but can be very Vox like or Marshall like depending on whether you jump the channels in the preamp and how you set the tone controls. The amp has a great master volume and to me sounds great both clean and dirty. With the channels jumped it can be very Marshall sounding. I put a GT 12axm in the v1 slot and greatly preferred it to the JJ that was in there. It really smoothed the amp out. The Blitz is a great amp but in genral KT66's don't chime like el 84's. Call Jeff at Savage, he will give you an honest rundown of his amps.
    ArnieZ

6. Ras

Ras Guest

I think the KT66's have a nice clean tone and the preamp in that blitz loves pedals. Its not bright and chimey like a vox its thicker and more developed on the eq curve. I see the blitz like a mixture of a hiwatt and a vox, and voxes and hiwatts love pedals.

7. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

what other KT-66 amps are out there? I'm not very familiar with them, as I've mostly only owned EL84 amps and find it hard to break away from them.

8. Ras

Ras Guest

There is an awesome KT66 amp that I have been drooling over. Its the Germino classic. That amp sounds amazing in the clips greg made. I have no $$ for one :(

9. tvegas99

tvegas99 Supporting Member

Hey there, i am just curious as to what you are not getting from the Bad Cat, I own a Black Cat 30R combo and previously owned a Hot Cat also for quite some time. Are you using your pentode channel or just hangin' on the clean channel with pedals for the majority of your gigs. What are you not able to do that you want to do?

10. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

hi, it's nothing about the Black Cat 30r I don't like. I've just used them for years now and want to try something new for a change of pace. I mostly use the pentode channel, but the other channel is cool also.

I think what I've decided to try now is a Matchless HC-30 with a Matchless 4x10 cab. Not too far off the path I'm on now, but something different to look at anyway! :D

11. Ras

Ras Guest

the hc is cool. Its the loosest amp I ever played. Its different than the black cat in that it seems to have no bass to it. Its a very bright amp great for alot of things but I could never get it to crunch with authority. Brilliant for bright jangles

12. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

is it that much looser than the Black Cat? I wonder if different speakers would help? It seemed like when I compared a Matchless 2x12 cab to my Bad Cat 2x12 cab, the Matchless cab was much brighter.

13. tvegas99

I agree with RAS and would like to add that I found it to be not very pedal freindly. I really thought the Bad Cat was an improvement on the HC-30 in that it had a bigger bottom end and was much more pedal friendly. Just my 2 cents!

Good luck!!

14. Ras

Ras Guest

The blackcat was a supposed improvement over the HC in that they fixed the flubby bottom. The blackcat is a bit flubby but is palm mute city compared to the HC. The HC brightness can tear your head off. As for speakers I only used the amp with the matching cabs and Its a bright little screamer.

15. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

you guys are talking me into keeping my amp! Maybe I'll keep the Black Cat 30r and try a Matchless 4x10 cab. Would that be heresy?

16. Ras

Ras Guest

blasphemey

17. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll probably go ahead and do that!

what other EL84 amps have a tighter bottom end like the Black Cat?

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Why don't you try the Hot Cat 30R? Clean channel and Hi-Gain channel.......still a Bad Cat........and has reverb.

19. tvegas99

There is a guy locally that plays a Guytron whose sound is killer, I've never played it though. It sounds fantastic for the el84 lover, add to it the increased 6L6 power stage and it might be a nice diversion. My comments are only from the listening point of view though, I still have not tried this amp.

20. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i had a hot cat 30r for a while and didn't really like the clean channel. There is something about EL34's that I don't like.

What about a 65 amps London with a 4x10 cab? Do those amps have much headroom? I don't need clean, clean. Just enough to cover Tom Petty, Allmans, Floyd at the local bar.

Sorry to keep going back and forth, but I trust you guys for your opinions, since I'm not able to go play all of these before buying something.