SAVAGE Rohr X and Glas X...any users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by architect, Dec 22, 2009.

1. architect

architect Member

I've been looking at both these amps and was curious if anyone has played either of these with the studio/stage control? With the master, pre-amp volume control and the studio switch are you able to get usable tones at lower volumes?

2. lpfella

lpfella Member

I own a Glas 30x currently. I use to have a Rohr but it wasn't the X model.

The Glas 30X is great with the studio switch for practices. Of course, more importantly, is the master volume in getting the right volume for the room.

In my experience the Studio/Stage switch really seems to bring some of the bright end off the amp. I was told that it brings the amp down to about 11 watts or so. If that is true, the amp is louder and more powerful than their 12 watt model.

I think the master volume is great on these amps and really keeps the tone true to itself at lower volumes.

Master will really allow you to get heavy overdriven tones at low volume with great tone as well.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  3. architect

architect Member

Sounds really nice. Can the studio switch also be used at home for practice and still get edge of breakup tones?
    Other amps I've had with a master usually start to sound very thin at home levels or even low levels. How does the glas perform at these levels?

Also since you have owned both...does the glas 30 have a "bigger or rounder or 3d" tone than the rohr? I've never played a 4xel84 amp but I have played 2xel84 amps. In my midnight special when you switch from a 6v6 to a 6l6 or el37 the tone becomes much bigger and rounder...I believe that is due more to the tube than the output.

What speaker do you have in your Glas?

4. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Sounds like you need to step up and turn it up!!
    Outta the numerous amps I've owned, the edge of
    break up tones need the push.

5. lpfella

lpfella Member

I would agree with this in most cases but (to the OP) the reason I went with the Savage Glas is that it covered so much ground really well. I knew I would want to use it at bedroom volumes. With the studio switch and the amazing master volume, I can play at bedroom volumes without losing tone. I can also play big shows or smaller shows in which I wont be mic'ed and still have clean headroom. For this reason, I felt I could get a lot of years out of the Glas.

To me, the savage line, especially the Glas and the Blitz are very versatile with regards to playing quiet and really loud. Most people are familiar with how loud Savage amps can get but are not as familiar with how quiet they can get without losing tone.

One other note: I liked the Glas because with the studio switch it seemed to do both the rohr and glas all in one. As I stated previously, the rohr is darker and when you use the studio switch with the Glas it takes the brilliance off the high end and subesquently becomes a bit darker.