1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

saving vintage pots

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 57special, Mar 16, 2005.

1. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

The original tone pot on one of my tele has seized up (barely turns about 1/4) after a long period of disuse. Is there any way to save it? Tuner cleaner? Do techs have any tricks to save them? Cost isn't an object , but i wish to save this specific pot.

2. hogy

hogy Member

You can dismantle the pot. There is a clip on the shaft that needs to be removed, then you carefully bend back the tabs that hold the housing and the whole thing comes apart.
    Use naptha (lighter fluid) and Q-tips to clean everything, including the carbon trace. Polish the shaft with some fine steel wool, put a bit of grease on it. Put some more grease on the inside of the housing and put everything back together. It'll be good as new.

P.S., it could also be a broken trace, in which case the game's over.

P.P.S., if you wish, you can send me the pot and I'll fix it for free.

Hogy

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Before you take it all apart, try soaking it water with a little bit of mild soap.

4. hogy

hogy Member

That strikes me as a very bad idea, as it will wash out the remaining grease, cause corrosion, and leave soapy/greasy residue on the trace.

Hogy

5. KLB

KLB Member

Hogy,
    I recently acquired an S-type guitar with a NOS 300K volume pot.
    It has the best feeling audio taper of any I've tried. It doesn't come on so strong at the end when doing volume swells. I find that I keep it around 3-5 much more than usual. Also, I like the extra brightness from 300K with single coils, especially the "quack" tones.

I haven't measured it yet, but I am guessing it is a 30% taper (30% of the resistance at the half-way rotation point.) The shaft is solid and the knob stays on OK.

Are there any companies you know of making split-shaft, 250K, 300K and 500K pots with a taper more like 30%?

I seem to recall that the standard audio taper pot nowadays is a 10% taper.

Thanks,
    Ken

6. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

thanks for the info ,guys, unfortunately, an even bigger problem has reared it's head on the tele. Hogy, i will be calling you...