Savvy contoured heel joint guitar tech?

diogoguitar

I want build a guitar from a Warmoth body with a contoured heel joint (like below). I know of a person who could do the finish work for a price I'm willing to pay, but is there anyone who could do the contoured heel joint thing like a Fender american professional II?

Ideally, it would be nice to have someone who could do the contoured heel joint AND the finish work... but I'm ok doing it in parts.

A few considerations:
- I'm lefty, so i can't buy a gutted out American ultra strat from stratosphere
- i want a "soloist" body, which has deeper cutaways than a strat

No I don't have a $3,000 belt sander at home.

1656014826119.png

Last edited:

Down and Out in NYC

Gold Supporting Member
Search for guitar mill bodies on reverb. they offer that heel and sell finished and unfinished bodies. Just did a quick search and they don’t have any with the carved heel listed right now. MJT also offers that heel as an option with the occasional body popping up on eBay. Both also accept custom orders

Morpeli

Silver Supporting Member
Or get a 2019 Fender Strat Elite which was the model before the Ultra. There are still some new ones around I think. Very decent guitars. My dad bought me one for my birthday a few years agos.

Attachments

• image-453.png
    image-453.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 4

tracyk

I was able to do that to my old Squier strat body in about 30 minutes with a simple rasp, so any halfway competent woodworker should be able to do the same. Let me see if I can find any photos, I'll edit this post if I do. Edit - here they are:

20210321_100559.jpg

20220405_134938.jpg

Last edited:

AD24189

Unfinished body? Be bold. It’s 2/10 difficulty. DIY with a rasp and 600 sand paper. Align the plate with the pre-drilled holes, pencil mark your angle.

The guy doing finish prep will take care of the rest.

Gclef

Dude, that is so easy to do!

Buy the sculpted neck plate.
Position it with 3 bolts.
Mark the offset hole with a pencil
Trace the profile of the plate plus a 1/16 to 1/8"
Use a sanding block, palm sander, hand held belt sander, etc. To work to that line.
Finish by hand to 320 grit. You don't want to finish with too fine a paper.

Warmoth sands to 320 I think.

Should take about 20 to 30 minutes

Send to finisher.

Enjoy

diogoguitar

ahhhhhh thank you for the inputs. I might just do the DIY version ...
warmoth charges $200 to finish the body... anyone else charges almost double (if not more).
I'm ok having natural look on that corner .

AD24189

I was able to do that to my old Squier strat body in about 30 minutes with a simple rasp, so any halfway competent woodworker should be able to do the same. Let me see if I can find any photos, I'll edit this post if I do. Edit - here they are:

View attachment 638231

View attachment 638232
Recommend sealing bare wood with Tru-Oil. Won’t affect the poly coat on the sparkle. Dilute slightly with mineral spirit to aid self leveling, wipe on with lint free nail wipes (wife uses Expert Touch brand).

Top Bottom