Saw Billie Eilish last night

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Cuthbert, Feb 2, 2020.

1. 4b454e

4b454e Gold Supporting Member

The person you’ve started multiple threads about tonight. You just can’t hide that crush, buddy!

2. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Totally hit the nail on the head. Great post.

3. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I think that is what’s frustrating people here, the fact that quality music has to be searched for while crap is bring spoon-fed to the masses. Watching people (not necessary Ellis) with little talent get rich and famous because they are in style.

Pop has its place but that’s all there is now on the radio. I’m 50 and I remember being able to listen to hard rock, new wave, R&B, classical(not my taste), pop and more on the main fm stations. There was variety. No more.

BriSol likes this.
  4. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

You act like this is a recent thing. I’m 43. It’s been this way since I was a teenager.

5. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

How many musicians that we praise here have had an "image" that made their careers more successful? Jimi? SRV? Beatles? Stones? Sabbath? Iron Maiden? Judas Priest? All had massive "image" backing their careers.
    A girl dresses in baggy clothes and suddenly she is only important due to her image? I realize you weren't exactly saying that, but still, I say its somewhat of an unfair double standard.

6. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

Forty years ago we had Frank Zappa and Gene Simmons being interviewed by Mike Douglas on the VacuumTubeTV. We thought they were awesome (ok, maybe not Gene), but our parents said "What a g** d*** freaking weirdo. I'd like to put my boot up their ass." Now we have kids like Billie and her bro on YouTube and TGPers and our Grandpa generation don't get it and thinks she sucks.

Well, she doesn't suck. You just don't like her music.

7. crosse79

crosse79 Member

h
    Hahaha, I’ve never actually read the rules before - but good to know some common sense prevails.

8. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Save your breath. Over on the Super Bowl thread some dude posted about the disgusting “whores” during the halftime show and I don’t think anyone even batted an eye. I guess that’s just the acceptable way of thinking and expressing yourself when it comes to women here on your daddy’s TGP. :facepalm
    For some of these guys the first and only and most important thing they notice about Billie is she’s a CHICK. End of story.

9. Alan Dunn

Alan Dunn Member

Oh I never said it was new thing. it's probably been going on since Mozart maybe even before that.

As for baggy clothes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  10. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Yeah I think you completely missed my point. She's 18 years old and wears baggy clothes and doesn't sell herself with sex appeal.

11. Alan Dunn

Alan Dunn Member

Where did the sex appeal line come from ? I certainly never suggested it.

[​IMG]

It works in that it's the complete opposite to what everyone else is doing - but again - I was thinking more about the music / delivery than what she was wearing.

More like Roger vs Pete with a common song.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  12. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

oildrops likes this.
  13. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

I am not sure what you call this genre but it seems My Chemical Romance feels it is a good time for a reunion tour.

Abram4235 likes this.
  14. PRW

PRW Member

You missed what the poster said. Terrestrial radio is irrelevant today, you can find that variety online.

15. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

It's all brain chemistry, isn't it?

I'm the first to say that I don't get her, I can't really listen to her for more than 10 seconds, but it's really just that she doesn't move the needle for me personally. Actually, it takes a lot to move the needle for me. It's a me thing. It's not a matter of something being objectively good or bad, it's about what moves me. I choose to only listen to stuff that moves me. Now if something else is going on and other folks are digging it, I like to think that I'm charitable enough to not pee in their punchbowl.

I think a lot about watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan with my Dad. His reaction was, "That's just noise. Now Sinatra, THAT'S music!" I don't want to be that guy.

Jayyj and dougb415 like this.
  16. RJLII

RJLII Member

Sullen teen strikes it rich. Yawn.

Abram4235 likes this.
  17. dougb415

dougb415 Silver Supporting Member

Well, 1) she’s a teenager who’s also 2) a girl, and 3) she doesn’t play guitar.

Three strikes, yer out!

gonzoknife likes this.
  18. PRW

PRW Member

If your dad had only known that the Beatles revered Frank ...

19. dougb415

dougb415 Silver Supporting Member

Didn’t matter. They had long hair, they screamed, their fans screamed. And those *******ed guitars, all the time. Now that Johnny Cash, why, he knew how to play a guitar and sing a song, yes sir! And you call those songs? The Glenn Miller Orchestra played such beautiful songs - not like this Beatles crap you kids listen to!

SSDD.

Jayyj and PRW like this.
  20. PRW

PRW Member

Funny, you might find the Beatles, Johnny Cash and Glenn Miller playing in succession on my stereo 56 years later ...

Ravindave_3600 likes this.