Saw Black Sabbath last night...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by The Interceptor, Apr 16, 2016.

1. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

...and they were pretty good. Not quite as good as what I saw in 2013 though; maybe not as tight. That said, last night I was being distracted by a high proportion of d*ckheads in the audience (I was in the standing area, and some meth heads seemed to think this was a thrash metal gig from 1989 complete with violent mosh pit).

Interesting to me was that Tony played his Gibson for a number of the C# tunes. Last time I saw them he only played his John Birch guitars (or was it Jaydee?). Last night was mainly the John Birch/Jaydee, but the Gibson got a run for a few songs.

Every single tune was from the first four albums with the exception of Dirty Women (and that is a fine exception). I'd like to have heard some Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage material, but at the same time I'm happy not to have been looking at my watch while they played something from 13.

I think Ozzy might have blown out his voice about 5 songs in - he seemed to back off and was coughing between songs. But he got back into form later on, and was pretty funny to watch with his little dances and tummy thrusting.

Highlight for me would have been Snowblind or maybe Into The Void. The crowd singalong to the War Pigs solo was nice too.

Brooks and ZeyerGTR like this.
  2. Sarutobi sasuke

Sarutobi sasuke Member

i can't imagine they'd ever do any of the dio stuff with ozzy. he couldn't do it. i sure would have loved to see them do into the void though. it's one of my favs from the early stuff.

3. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

Saw them at MSG some months ago. I caught them on a good night. Ozzy was on.

4. motorchang

motorchang Member

Jaydee guitars are always Tony's staple but he switches back and forth with adding a Gibson or two in the mix. During the previous AU/NZ leg of 13 tour it was all Jaydees more of less but he brought a Gibson back for US/European leg.

What's more interesting this time though, is that he's getting most of his sound from the vintage Laney Supergroup heads instead of his signature ones. Haven't had a chance to hear it by myself but have heard that it's more cleaner and 'hard rock' than his usual tone from previous tours. Here's a nice article about the back line. You can see a picture of Tony's rig:

http://www.fohonline.com/current-issue/21-production-profile/14409-black-sabbaths-swan-song.html#

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Echoplexi likes this.