Saw Bohnam Zep experience last night

cragginshred

Killer band and singer! First 2 songs my band covers Immigrant and Good times, BUT Bass and Kick drum were soooo flipping loud it was distorted and painful.
Anyone else see them and have this experience?

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Killer band and singer! First 2 songs my band covers Immigrant and Good times, BUT Bass and Kick drum were soooo flipping loud it was distorted and painful.
I saw them at the forum and thought the drums were too loud, but it was clear. My main complaint was he used a double pedal.... Booo!

zep41

Yep, saw them last year and the kick drum was almost comical. It's like they're not even attempting to get a good natural sound - it's just "turn all the dials to 11 on that kick mic"

saw them open for Frampton in late July. Felt the same. crazy loud kick drums ...The singer was good. Faux Jimmy was solid. It was a mixture of good and cringe worthy.

wntbtw

Silver Supporting Member
I saw them at the forum and thought the drums were too loud, but it was clear. My main complaint was he used a double pedal.... Booo!
I have always wondered how John Bonham got those rapid, double bass drum kicks during the intro to their debut 'Good Times Bad Times'. I have a hard time believing it was just a single kick drum pedal.

Last edited:

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Overly loud, punch-you-in-the-chest, kick drum, and to a slightly lesser extent, bass, is a standard feature at almost every big show now.

wntbtw

Silver Supporting Member
'Good Times Bad Times' is one of my all-time favorite tunes & Zeppelin`s debut LP is one on my Top 5 LP`s list just because of it`s impact on me when, as a young teenager, I listened to it quite often in mid 1969. I do wish that Zeppelin would`ve played it/opened w/ it in it`s entirety when they performed 'live' but to my knowledge, they never did [only going straight into 'Comm. Breakdown']. Pretty cool that they did open with it in the 2007 performance w/ Jason on drums. I just would`ve loved to hear Bonzo play those slick intro drum parts 'live'!

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
the kick drum sound is a mic plus a sample that is triggered, add efx.
its not 100% real.
same drum sound Jason used for the mix of the LZ “Celebration Day” live album.

GerryJ

You mean on the original version 50 yrs ago, it was a studio trick? I've read that in the past, a drummer would sometimes use 2 kick pedals on one bass drum.
More commonly, a drummer could learn to use both feet on one kick drum, which is what I think Bonham did back then.

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
I get that Bonzo double stroke thing with a single pedal by adjusting the tension on the kick pedal to be a little tighter than normal and move the angle of the beater at rest to be farther back from the head. This gives me a lot more play in the pedal and the extra tension keeps the beater off the head at rest. That way the pedal action helps me make those rapid double strokes heels up. It also allows me to keep the beater off the head at rest so I don't bury the beater in the head. Since I like to play solid front bass drum heads with no mic holes and no muffling on the heads it keeps the beater from choking the head after every stroke. Makes every bass drum hit a whole or half note versus something more staccato and short.

67blackcherry

I have always wondered how John Bonham got those rapid, double bass drum kicks during the intro to their debut 'Good Times Bad Times'. I have a hard time believing it was just a single kick drum pedal.
A good friend plays bass with the Spirit of Zeppelin here in OC & LA County; they don’t go for the whole visual thing but sonically...OMG...and their drummer nails that kick part with a single pedal and a 26” kick.
If you’re local, they’re playing The Gaslamp in Long Beach sometime this month or next, check them out.

Dasein

Amazing! Thank you! I have seen the 1st video before--just incredible talent! They both clarify it for me so thank you very much!
I love watching this girl drum. She'd posted her drums only version so people can use her drums in covers.... fun as hell.

scott944

Overly loud, punch-you-in-the-chest, kick drum, and to a slightly lesser extent, bass, is a standard feature at almost every big show now.
Agreed! We saw ZZ Top at the Clay Center in Charleston, WV, last night. So much bass - the frequency, not the instrument - that the vocals, and much of The Rev's guitar, was were drowned out. The hall sounded like a teenager's car at a stop light.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
My childhood friend who is an amazing drummer does those with a single foot, no problem. He was mad that Jason used a double pedal....

Badtone

Gold Supporting Member
I recall a tale from back in the day that Bonzo wanted a double bass drum rig, Like Mooney and Ginger, et al, and Peter Grant said something to the effect "bollocks, you can do more with one than they can do with two". True or not, who knows, but I have to agree with Peter...

zep41

the kick drum sound is a mic plus a sample that is triggered, add efx.
its not 100% real.
same drum sound Jason used for the mix of the LZ “Celebration Day” live album.
I was at that concert in London back in 2007 and Jason's kick was nowhere near as obnoxious as it is now with his "experience" band.

From what I remember, the kick sounded pretty good.

Trending Topics