Saw Bohnam Zep experience last night

zep41

I recall a tale from back in the day that Bonzo wanted a double bass drum rig, Like Mooney and Ginger, et al, and Peter Grant said something to the effect "bollocks, you can do more with one than they can do with two". True or not, who knows, but I have to agree with Peter...
Pretty sure it was Page and JPJ who said no. I think it was mid/late 69 at a show in California where Bonham set up two bass drums and after the show they all agreed there was just way too much going on there.

zep41

You mean on the original version 50 yrs ago, it was a studio trick? I've read that in the past, a drummer would sometimes use 2 kick pedals on one bass drum.
More commonly, a drummer could learn to use both feet on one kick drum, which is what I think Bonham did back then.
No, he did not.

Back in 1968 it was somewhat revolutionary what he did with one pedal, but as drummers have shown over the decades, its really not all that complicated. It just takes a huge amount of practice like anything else.

Go on youtube and you'll see dozens of drummers doing Bonham type stuff with the kick pedal quite effortlessly.

Trending Topics