Saw Boston last night in Louisville

teefus

great show. tom scholz had a crazy rig. 5 fridge sized racks, 4 rack organ, and a weird rig up front including a wedge, several foot pedal/controllers and something on a stand that i couldn't figure out. he had 2 techs moving him between organ, electric guitar and acoustic. the show sounded fantastic and they covered all of the hits. tom played 2 goldtops. gary pihl was the other guitarist and he played and sounded great 2. he was using the steinbergers with the headstock and a 4-5 huge rockman racks behind him. overall the band sounded great. boston's music really held up well over the years. more than i can say for nightranger who opened the show. brad gillis is a great player but the whammy squeals and hamstring stretch poses got old really fast. joel hoekstra is a great player. they kind of got shafted with the opening slot PA woes. the mix was muddy and it took 3-4 songs to get some issues worked out. hoekstra did a great job of covering jeff watson's parts and solos.

teefus

there were some pick slides, yes. that compressy/clean gain thing he has going on is very unique. not for everyone i guess but i certainly enjoyed their show last night.

garret

Saw them last year, I think Cheap Trick opened for them.

We enjoyed the show. That classic Boston sound.

Nickstrtcstr

Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger
I saw Boston back in the late 80's when Brad was still alive. Gary Pihl was in place of Barry Goodreau. Good show. Tom took a solo spot on guitar that actually made me nod off though. I could have done without that.

teefus

there were a couple of extended solo pieces on organ and guitar. it was tolerable, nothing too long. the band was really together. the gear looked like a logistical nightmare. tom was on a cable, no wireless. you could hear the hum and pop when they plugged or unplugged his guitar. kind of ironic when you think about the racks of gear behind him.

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
great show. tom scholz had a crazy rig. 5 fridge sized racks, 4 rack organ, and a weird rig up front including a wedge, several foot pedal/controllers and something on a stand that i couldn't figure out. he had 2 techs moving him between organ, electric guitar and acoustic. the show sounded fantastic and they covered all of the hits. tom played 2 goldtops. gary pihl was the other guitarist and he played and sounded great 2. he was using the steinbergers with the headstock and a 4-5 huge rockman racks behind him. overall the band sounded great. boston's music really held up well over the years. more than i can say for nightranger who opened the show. brad gillis is a great player but the whammy squeals and hamstring stretch poses got old really fast. joel hoekstra is a great player. they kind of got shafted with the opening slot PA woes. the mix was muddy and it took 3-4 songs to get some issues worked out. hoekstra did a great job of covering jeff watson's parts and solos.
I thought Joel Hoekstra was out of NR and joined Whitesnake?

Trending Topics