Saw Dave and Phil Alvin this week

marktweedy

In Transit®
Silver Supporting Member
My oh my! What a show. With the Guilty Ones, they played a small, call it 400 person capacity room, in Vancouver. Although Phil had been very ill a couple years back (and down a tonne of weight) he sings like he did in The Blasters 30 years ago. Dave has not missed a beat either. I actually had no idea he was as fine a guitarist as he is.

Superb, very high energy show.

Did I mention that I am in love with the drummer, Lisa Pankratz?

Last edited:
Reactions: TVC

MORE BARN

My oh my! What a show. With the Guilty Ones, they played a small, call it 400 person capacity room, in Vancouver. Although Phil had been very ill a couple years back (and down a tonne of weight) he sings like he did in The Blasters 40 years ago. Dave has not missed a beat either. I actually had no idea he was as fine a guitarist as he is.

Superb, very high energy show.

Did I mention that I am in love with the drummer, Lisa Pankratz?

+1

I saw them this past winter in Northampton, MA. Great show. I have Dave's 'Eleven Eleven' expanded album, which has a DVD of a show. Great stuff.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
HUGE fan of both those guys and have been since 1983. a few years back their was a photo essay and very deep interview with phil at his home that somebody blogged. phil is a mesmerizing presence and a real tresure. i have always followed dave and have probably seen him live close to a dozen times. i never saw the blasters with dave, but have with keith wyatt; twice. dave alvin gets better & better, too! what a fantastic
catalog of music they've got!

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
Aren't they great. Got to see them in Denver about a year ago. Real talent and a very fun show!

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
Reviving this one because I saw these guys in San Francisco this month and it was a great show. It was a Blaster! Local country band Red Meat opened and were great as well.
A true Americana tradition having brothers playing together and telling a few stories along the way.

Bluedano1

Early 80's Blasters were one of the best live shows I've EVER seen. I'd love to see the brothers again.
I kind of missed out on The Blasters when they were in their '80's prime, caught with their music in '92 when a band I joined into did a few songs. What a solid-ass band! Dave and Phil ( and Co.) are an Americana gift.

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
I kind of missed out on The Blasters when they were in their '80's prime, caught with their music in '92 when a band I joined into did a few songs. What a solid-ass band! Dave and Phil ( and Co.) are an Americana gift.

Lee Allen was playing sax with the Blasters when I saw them, and Phil kept saying how honored they were to have him in the band. He played on a lot of Fats Domino & Little Richard hits.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom