Saw Fleetwood Mac last night (and rant about cellphones)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by PRW, Feb 14, 2019.

1. PRW

PRW Member

Apples and oranges. You go into feast days at the Taos Puebla you damn well SHOULD know what the rules are, and woe be unto you if you break them. You start confiscating phones at an arena funded by taxpayers' money and a lot of lawyers are going to get rich.

I've stressed here that this is a mess. I saw last night first hand how bad it's gotten. I know this issue is a flash point here (I've participated in the debate before), and an aside I tossed on at the end of my OP has become the dominant subject in the thread rather than the music.

I respect artists who seek to control this. I simply do not think it's possible in this era where these gadgets are life itself to so many folks to control it completely without having World War III.

The fact that the connected, smartphone generation doesn't think they ought to have to pay for music ... as a lot of you folks who put bread on the table via music know too well ... is a whole lot bigger deal IMO than people acting like asses and being inconsiderate at concerts. And I don't know how you fix that either.

Progress is wonderful, ain't it?

2. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Yep. If the NHL wanted to stop fighting they could. Same thing with phones at concerts.

3. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

I really think some of the more artsy bands are missing out on a PRIME performance art piece = Put a cell phone on the stage but perform the show at another location and stream it to the stage phone for the audience to watch.

To prevent a riot they could mock up a cellphone to be the same proportions from the audiences view as they would have watching their own cellphone.

The icon would of course be this with appropriate witty text...

[​IMG]

4. lhallam

lhallam Member

What was I thinking? Of course you are so right and I am so naive. Most people are a-holes and don't listen to what people tell them but not you.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  5. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Billboard shows Rumors as the #3 top selling vinyl album for 2018. Apparently Millenials dig it and are even collecting the various pressings (Reverb had something about it).

Last big show I saw was Tool in 2011 or 2012. Drove 3 hours each way to sit in an arena filled with people smoking pot and talking (most didn't seem to care there was a band playing). The only people paying attention were me and the 2 people sitting next to me. 1/2 way home I pulled off the freeway into a diner for a late dinner, entering at the same time were the 2 people sitting next to me. Turns out we live a few miles apart.

6. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

I'm probably around the same age as most of you but I still go to as many shows as possible. 27 last year - 38 in 2017 & I've already been to a lot of shows this year including Elizabeth Cook & Chris Shiflett last night. They each did about an hour just them & their acoustic.

So my point is I love music too much not to go see it live whenever possible & the cell phone thing is what it is - that ship sailed long ago. I think I took one video of each of them which is what I usually do. Also if someone is blocking my view with their phone I politely say something. Smallish place in Downtown LA on a wed in the pouring rain but it was still packed.

7. Jonny1275

Jonny1275 Member

Artist: "Please ladies and gentlemen, kindly refrain from the use of cell phones so that others may be able enjoy an unobstructed view of the show. Thank you"

See, now anyone doing it is gonna be viewed as the a**hole among the audience. :D

Bodhisattva likes this.
  8. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Robben don't take kindly to cell phonin at his shows...........

9. Blaqhat

Blaqhat Silver Supporting Member

I talked the other night for two hours to my sister who went to the concert with her daughter somewhere in Texas. You're spot on about the performance. I'm sure she was one who spent more time blowing up the phone than really experiencing the concert. Today it seems people photo things when when things get exciting.

10. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

Because they have the name and only the name. Even Mick and John wax on about what it was to play with Peter in the early days. If you asked them they would have far preferred to keep that energy going from the original lineup + Kirwan than selling out for pop mass market garbage. They were far from a blues band by 1970 just listen to Then Play On. The relevancy is that without Greeny there would never have ever been a Fleetwood Mac. If you like nanny goat drivel the likes of Stevie Nicks that's fine but I witnessed the real deal and there isn't any comparison. There are few things I get dogmatic about but early Fmac is one of them.

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Glad to hear that it was a good show and that this latest version of the band still sounds good!

12. rwmct

rwmct Member

I am as big a fan of the Green era as most. But you can't put Christine McVie and "no soul" in the same paragraph, IMO.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  13. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

yeah i'm not a short guy but i do get sick of seeing nothing but arms and cell phones when the band takes the stage and the curtain falls. I usually still try to get down front. It's a double edge thing, i do love to look at live video from shows on youtube but.. go sit your ass in your seat and zoom. If you're in the pit or up front just snap your picture to post on Instagram and put your f'ing arm down please.

14. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

VERY astute observation. Perhaps they did him a favor by doing him the dirty.
    He is Fleetwood Mac as far as their 70s output goes, far as I think.
    I am a huge fan of the entire spectrum of FM, from the first album through all but the last couple of albums. I would far rather hear a new LB release than an FM release now.

15. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

That feels more than a little twee, to me. Shut up and play yer guitar.

16. PRW

PRW Member

Beatles tribute band I've seen a couple of times ... Fab Four, they're actually really good ... does that.

It's just for fun.

17. Radspin

Radspin Member

A lot of the crowd behavior depends on what band is playing. For example, whenever I've seen Kraftwerk the crowd has been almost reverent and there was no obnoxious talking or cell phone intrusion (if anyone was taking cell phone videos they were so discreet as to be unnoticeable). Part of that was that the band's performance was holding the audience spellbound, but still...you could tell the audience (including me!) was there to SEE THE BAND, not screw around. Refreshing.

PRW likes this.
  18. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

A roomful of the "Me" generation acting like a bunch of entitled selfish jerks waving around their participation trophies. Shocker.

cottonmike likes this.
  19. acroberts

acroberts Member

And there it is. I paid my money and I can do whatever the f### I want.

Sat behind a female douchebag at a Stapleton show with her digital idiot brick up in the air for 90 minutes recording the entire show. With the light in front of the phone on. Oh yeah, from 30 rows away and far stage right.

America 2019. God Bless.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  20. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Saw that at the Classic West show a couple of years ago. It is the one thing that keeps me from going to see this incarnation. I love Mike Campbell and would not mind seeing him with the band, but Christine's voice really killed a lot of it for me.