Saw Kurt Rosenwinkle this weekend

stratotastic

He's been on my to do list for years and finally had the chance to check him out. What an absolute monster player. He's one of those guys who makes it look completely effortless. It's almost as if the music that's coming out of him transcends the instrument itself (if that makes any sense). It was also my first live jazz show in many years, and it's really awesome to see how intense and out there these guys are taking it these days (the full band was the Orrin Evans trio with Kurt). It was just awesome watching monster jazz players with complete mastery of their instruments pushing the limits of music.

Anyway, if you haven't seen or heard of Kurt, he's definitely worth checking out.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Just saw him Sunday in Baltimore, were they in Philly Saturday? Great, great show...Kurt was on fire as usual, really dug the group and especially the drummer (who's father was a big jazz guitarist in the 90's). Great tunes, as well. My only criticism of Kurt is his fake-flute tone, just my preference but I don't like it...that upper-octave filter thing starts wearing on my ears after a while. Funny how he's got that 24 button midi controller but don't think I ever saw him touch it...he was controlling the flute tone with one of the expression pedals. Also very cool to see the red Moffa guitar in person, I've only ever seen his D'Angelico.

Can't wait for the album to come out!

stratotastic

Yeah, I was at the Saturday early show in Philly. He only used the flute sound on one or two songs that I noticed. I thought it was a cool way to mix it up, but could see how it could get annoying if used too much. I didn't know anything about his rig, and just assumed it must be pretty simple since he only used a couple different sounds. But I did some looking around online and it looks like he suffers the same GAS affliction as many of us here, haha.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I didn't know anything about his rig, and just assumed it must be pretty simple since he only used a couple different sounds. But I did some looking around online and it looks like he suffers the same GAS affliction as many of us here, haha.
Yeah he's that guy that needs a ton of gear for like, two basic sounds. But when you're on a level like Kurt's, that's perfectly acceptable haha. I got a good shot of his rig yesterday:

Norsegod

I'm envious.
Sometimes living in the northern Rockies has it's drawbacks.
Scofield and Rosenwinkel are the two guitar players I would most like to hear live.

Inoshishi

Really fantastic that you guys got to see him live. He's one great guitarist that I haven't had a chance to see in person.

stratotastic

Yeah he's that guy that needs a ton of gear for like, two basic sounds. But when you're on a level like Kurt's, that's perfectly acceptable haha. I got a good shot of his rig yesterday:

I love how his stage setup kinda looks like a rummage sale. Just a bunch of stuff thrown on the floor, wires everywhere, etc. An Axe FX laying on the ground... LOL. Dude just plays--doesn't have time to mess around with putting his gear in racks and pedalboards and stuff.

Last edited:

tribalfusion

Nice! I love how he has an Axe FX just sitting there on the floor with a bunch of stuff just thrown on top of it - LOL.

I love how his stage setup kinda looks like a rummage sale. Just a bunch of stuff thrown on the floor, wires everywhere, etc. An Axe FX laying on the ground... LOL. Dude just plays--doesn't have time to mess around with putting his gear in racks and pedalboards and stuff.

Kirk is a good player of course but even jazzers and fusioners can have nice set ups and racks...see Pat Metheny, Scott Henderson (especially back in the day), Holdsworth (a big inspiration for Rosenwinkel by the way) etc :)

I wish more of them took it more seriously but it's easy to see why they don't considering also the type of gigs they tend to do and that a lot of them developed their styles while taking cabs in NYC

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Jealous. He has a new record soon I believe as well. Can't wait for that.

The 'flute' sounds are the HOG IIRC.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Jealous. He has a new record soon I believe as well. Can't wait for that.

The 'flute' sounds are the HOG IIRC.
Yes they said he has a new album coming out soon, but didn't give any details.

Interesting that that's the HOG. It was sitting on top of his Axe-FX. He used one expression pedal to bring the HOG/flute sound in and out, and another to activate a Freeze effect. Don't think he ever touched the third volume pedal, or the midi board. The craziest thing is, I don't think he ever tuned or checked his tuning, not once for both sets! I know for the second set he just came out, put his guitar on and started playing.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I'd love to see Kurt. Opportunity hasn't presented itself.

Glad you enjoyed the show. That video with the HOG is pretty sweet.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
WOW! Skill, experience, knowledge and joy. You could take any ten seconds of that and live with it for a month.

And the HOG bit at the beginning -- I could feel the influence of Josef Zawinul, which is not something we get to say about guitarists. Like, ever.

THANK YOU for posting that.
No worries. I've been marvelling at that video for a few months now.

There's another one where he uses a really high octave on the Hog to get an almost flute-like tone which is just beautiful. I just can't seem to find it again after seeing it the one time.

Trending Topics