• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Saw Matt Schofield on Sunday

Although a bit weird seeing a gig starting at 4:30pm on a Sunday afternoon, it was an amazing gig nonetheless.

The Matt Schofield band is now officially a 4 piece as he added an amazing bassplayer. He still has the company of his old drummer and keyboard player so this is one HELL of a band. Bassplayer used an amplified standing bass for 3/4 of the gig switching to a 5-string for the last part.

Matt was using his trusty old strat for the majority of the gig only switching to a tele near the end. He had some pedals on the floor and then a Two Rock head and matching 2x12 cab. Like Joe B, Matt was using a plexi glass schield in front of the cab. To bad he didn´t play his Tokai ES-335 because I am gassing BADLY for one and might be picking one up later today but that´s another post! [cool]

The 1st set they played, they did a bunch of songs from their upcoming album. Although a bit less funky as some of his older work, great great songs and even better playing. Matt seems to expand his playing and had some cool rocking blues going on. I have never heard a strat sound so big, fat, smooth, gnarly and pissed off at the same time. Definitely some of the best strat tones I have ever heard. 2nd set, they dove into some of their older material and got really funky at times. Matt let the other band members take solos in several songs and again wow what great players.

I have been a fan and knew he was good but he seems to bridge the gap between blues (SRV, Albert Collins, Freddie K) to the jazzy stuff with so much ease. Whereas Robben Ford always is planted in jazzy/fusion stuff, Schofield seems to be able to shift between a killer SRV-lick and an amazing jazz/fusion run and making it work. The new songs he played were stellar so his new album will be great for sure.

This was the start of a month full of great gigs as next Monday, I will be seeing Larry Carlton.

jumpnblues

Although a bit weird seeing a gig starting at 4:30pm on a Sunday afternoon, it was an amazing gig nonetheless.

The Matt Schofield band is now officially a 4 piece as he added an amazing bassplayer. He still has the company of his old drummer and keyboard player so this is one HELL of a band. Bassplayer used an amplified standing bass for 3/4 of the gig switching to a 5-string for the last part.

Matt was using his trusty old strat for the majority of the gig only switching to a tele near the end. He had some pedals on the floor and then a Two Rock head and matching 2x12 cab. Like Joe B, Matt was using a plexi glass schield in front of the cab. To bad he didn´t play his Tokai ES-335 because I am gassing BADLY for one and might be picking one up later today but that´s another post! [cool]

The 1st set they played, they did a bunch of songs from their upcoming album. Although a bit less funky as some of his older work, great great songs and even better playing. Matt seems to expand his playing and had some cool rocking blues going on. I have never heard a strat sound so big, fat, smooth, gnarly and pissed off at the same time. Definitely some of the best strat tones I have ever heard. 2nd set, they dove into some of their older material and got really funky at times. Matt let the other band members take solos in several songs and again wow what great players.

I have been a fan and knew he was good but he seems to bridge the gap between blues (SRV, Albert Collins, Freddie K) to the jazzy stuff with so much ease. Whereas Robben Ford always is planted in jazzy/fusion stuff, Schofield seems to be able to shift between a killer SRV-lick and an amazing jazz/fusion run and making it work. The new songs he played were stellar so his new album will be great for sure.

This was the start of a month full of great gigs as next Monday, I will be seeing Larry Carlton.

I gotta' admit the kid can really play. I love the jazz influenced phrasing. He has a great touch, great tone without having to resort to generic sounding heavy distortion, and an "uptown" feel to his music. He's the kind of young player along with guys like Dave Gross I like to see carry on the blues torch. My interests lie pretty much in straight/traditional blues, jump blues/swing jazz, and West Coast style blues, so to hear that he's including blues rock in his repertoire concerns me a little (yeah, I'm a purist)...but only a little if he keeps it to a minimum. OTOH, if by "blues rock" you mean a little funk I don't mind that at all. But that's just where my tastes are.
The one thing (other than his considerable playing chops) that initially really turned my head was his uptown jazz infused phrasing, so I hope he doesn't abandon that in favor of a more rock oriented approach in order to be more popular. If he does I'll understand. Sometimes it just becomes a financial reality. And though it strays away somewhat from my most favorite blues styles I still very much like his playing and sound. Kinda' piques my interest in one of those Dumble-influenced amps...great, just what I need. :jo

Tom

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the great review. Matt is the real deal for sure! Wish he'd put out a DVD if he's not going to tour the States...

-KD

I gotta' admit the kid can really play. I love the jazz influenced phrasing. He has a great touch, great tone without having to resort to generic sounding heavy distortion, and an "uptown" feel to his music. He's the kind of young player along with guys like Dave Gross I like to see carry on the blues torch. My interests lie pretty much in straight/traditional blues, jump blues/swing jazz, and West Coast style blues, so to hear that he's including blues rock in his repertoire concerns me a little (yeah, I'm a purist)...but only a little if he keeps it to a minimum. OTOH, if by "blues rock" you mean a little funk I don't mind that at all. But that's just where my tastes are.
The one thing (other than his considerable playing chops) that initially really turned my head was his uptown jazz infused phrasing, so I hope he doesn't abandon that in favor of a more rock oriented approach in order to be more popular. If he does I'll understand. Sometimes it just becomes a financial reality. And though it strays away somewhat from my most favorite blues styles I still very much like his playing and sound. Kinda' piques my interest in one of those Dumble-influenced amps...great, just what I need. :jo

Tom
When I say rocking blues I'm not talking about him doing a Gary Moore or Joe Bonamassa but some of the songs had a more straight ahead groove with a less funky drive where Matt would also be playing some bigger chords etc. He definitely wasn't doing a riff-fest on the low strings like some others. Still, he would infest even those with his own schtick.

jumpnblues

When I say rocking blues I'm not talking about him doing a Gary Moore or Joe Bonamassa but some of the songs had a more straight ahead groove with a less funky drive where Matt would also be playing some bigger chords etc. He definitely wasn't doing a riff-fest on the low strings like some others. Still, he would infest even those with his own schtick.

Ahh, I see. Good news.

Tom

Blues Fuse

Matt Schofield is my favorite of the younger blues players. I like his style and blend of influences. And, yes, he does get a big sound out of a Strat. He uses pretty heavy strings on his Strat. I'm not sure if he tunes down a 1/2 step or not.

As to the Tokai 335-style guitar, I should be getting the one I bought in the TGP Emporium in about a week. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

Last edited:

johnh

The more I listen to him, the more I'm convinced that Matt Schofield is one of the best guitarists about in todys Blues scene. I'm amazed that more folks don't listen to him. His music is much more accessible than Robben Ford's in my opinion.

He has such awesome touch, tone and feel.

bobmc

Silver Supporting Member
As usual I'm a day late and a dollar short (nothing to...), and just got hip to this guy via Youtube and this site, so far, I'm just knocked out.

Please give me some shopping tips, the funkier the better

jumpnblues

As usual I'm a day late and a dollar short (nothing to...), and just got hip to this guy via Youtube and this site, so far, I'm just knocked out.

Please give me some shopping tips, the funkier the better

Matt's great, that's for sure. But if it's funk you want, anything by Tower Of Power should really hoot your doody.

Tom

bobmc

Silver Supporting Member
Now, now Tom, grew up on Tof P (and BST and CTA, BTW). I'm looking for to catch up on what the 'kids' are up to!

Soothsayer

(Paul)
Gold Supporting Member
The more I listen to him, the more I'm convinced that Matt Schofield is one of the best guitarists about in todys Blues scene. I'm amazed that more folks don't listen to him. His music is much more accessible than Robben Ford's in my opinion.

He has such awesome touch, tone and feel.

Just happened on this clip
What a great player!

Amazing...

Soothsayer

(Paul)
Gold Supporting Member
I got some cold Lone Star in the fridge here HJ, a little enchilada with some Jalapeno draws em in. He would pack the house down here in H town.

duanesworld

I like Matt and Robben, Just wondering what was meant by more accessible. I really haven't heard Matt do anything that robben hasn't ventured into at some time.

jumpnblues

I like Matt and Robben, Just wondering what was meant by more accessible. I really haven't heard Matt do anything that robben hasn't ventured into at some time.

Main difference I hear is Matt has pretty much stayed in the blues realm with a few strayings into funk/funk jazz. Whereas Robben has pretty thoroughly explored jazz, funk, and fusion. Especially fusion. You can't deny the similarities between the two though, their blues phrasing in particular. Heck, even their voices sound similar. I'm not sure why, but I tend to prefer listening to Matt play blues. I think it's his cleaner, less overdriven, tones. Although I really like Robben's tone when he was playing through the Louis Electric amp. Definitely liked it better than the more saturated Dumble tones he favors. I tend not to like saturated distortion so much anymore (like I used to years ago), in the last 20 yrs or so preferring cleaner, light overdrive/clean sustain.
But that's all just personal preference stuff. I would guess Robben's musical vocabulary is significantly larger mainly due to his age and much greater experience base. Both are simply outstanding players. Very few of us could ever hope to reach their level of musical knowledge or chops.
BTW, although I have great respect for and listen to both, I tend to favor straight 50's-60's style blues, and jump blues/swing jazz combinations, bluesy jazz and jazzy blues. OK, I'll shut up.

Tom

Trending Topics