Saw my first Gisbon Historics in real life tonight

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NatDeroxL7, Jan 10, 2008.

1. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

So I went and looked at some Gibson Historics tonight in real life for the first time.

***DISCLAIMER: It was at guitar center, I just stopped by since I was passing it***

I was surprised how un-brilliant the flame tops were on the R9s, it seems like people here, the ones they post, are like, the private stock versions of what I saw there.

Is it the lighting? or does GC just get the exceptionally poor tops?

I think every single instrument listed at wildwood or any other reputable online dealer looks so much better than the ones there looked in real life. Even the ones in the platinum room were not extraordinarily impressive.

I didn't play any so I have no comment there.

On the other hand there were some customs that looked really great!

One had a sort of PRSy vintage yellow finish and a sick flamed top, and another was just a plain top, but had some nice grain, and a really interesting darker red/brown burst color. I had never seen anything like those before.

anyways, end of story

2. HHB

HHB Member

maybe they were R8s

3. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Well, just judging by our GC here, I'd say the lighting probably didn't help. The special rooms in ours (for acoustics, high end guitars etc.) are very yellow lit and dim.

4. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Yep, and a top can look like almost two totally different guitars depending on the lighting and the angles. A flash can show flames that you can't see with the naked eye, out on the edge where the burst finish is darkest.

5. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

what a Historic LP fan wants in a top and what a PRS fan wants in a top are 2 different things.

6. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

I'm not really partial to either, for me, gibsons are the be all and end all for tone, at least in concept, so its not to say that a Baker can't do my idea of the gibson tone better than a gibson, but the 'solid body thick mahognany tone with balls' is what I love.

what I mean is that nothing looked like this (from the emporium)
    [​IMG]

or this (from wildwood)

[​IMG]

The ones at GC did not look NEARLY this good....

But that doesn't mean they can't be tone monsters, and while this post might make me look like a top-obsessor, i not, I was just surprised and felt like posting it

7. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

although debated a lot here I pretty firmly believe that more and more manufacturers have a box store QA level and another level for their boutique dealers which may just be that the boutiques are able to sell more high end gibsons- which are status symbols or luxury items and more likely to be sold by someone with the ability to "hand pick" their stock. either way I have never found any very spectacular instrument at guitar center or Sam ash and always found better ones at my local gibson dealing mom and pop Pick one up used, save abundle, just be sure to find a pretty light one 8.5-9lbs and get an approval oeriod from the seller for any serious playability issues like a twisted neck. To put it in perspective yo ucould pick up two second hand flametop R8's for the price of one new r9.

8. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

absolutely!

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

FAWK AESTHETICS

Get a goldtop, it's like the anti-flame top.

10. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

This one came from GC
    [​IMG]

11. frankencat

frankencat Gold Supporting Member

Funny thing is there are a lot of gorgeous flame tops under these gold tops. You just have to be brave enough to take the plunge ;)

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Amen!

13. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

i would agree with this statement

14. codeorama

codeorama Member

I totally agree. I hate the ultra flamey fake looking tops... Jimmy Page's #1 doesn't look nothing like those...:BEER

15. buchla300

buchla300 Member

+1 :JAM

16. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

So if I go hit up some place like Rock Block or Corner Music, I would have a better chance of seeing something more akin to what I get exposed to here?

17. RDM

RDM Senior Member

GC lighting is piss poor. You have to take the guitar outside to get a good look at it.....or bring a flashlight. You can also hold the guitar up to a flame...like from a cigarette lighter....but it may catch on fire. (Don't ask...I've done it before and set one on fire on the sales floor.....muhahahah)

Gibson doesn't cherry pick, or not cherry pick, guitars for GC. They get what they get. Same thing with mom and pop shops. It's luck of the draw. The nicer looking ones always get snatched up quicker at GC. There are people that make their way to GC every M/W/F for shipment days to see what came in, looking for "the one."