Saw Ryan Adams last night in New Haven

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dB, Feb 21, 2009.

1. dB

dB Member

Easily the best show I have seen in quite a while, and definitely in my top 10 greatest shows. Very impressive on all fronts.

The Good

The Tone: His walnut 335 thru his stereo Princeton/extension cabs setup are some of the greatest tones I have ever heard live.

The Mix: Excellent live sound...they really have it dialed in perfectly. They are able to take it instantly from whisper quiet to full on frenzied rock and roll and never lose balance or clarity.

The Venue: Shubert Theater is a great old space. I saw Wilco there a few months back and was equally blown away by the acoustics.

The Setlist: A great cross section of his catalog, with some interesting takes on a few of his classics.

The Bad

The Majority of the Fans: What an awful group of people. There is a strange mix of fanboys, fratboys and partiers seated right next to musicians, music enthusiasts, and generally more respectful concert goers. I have never been surrounded by so many people unaware of personal space and appropriate boundaries. I feel bad for Ryan Adams if this is typical to have to play to a group of obnoxious hecklers every night.

2. ilari

ilari Member

Yeah the audiences bad behaviour is one of the reasons he´s stopping touring. I can only pray that he won´t quit music for good.

3. ezyrydr

ezyrydr Member

I saw a great show in Indianapolis last year.
    However it was almost ruined by the row of frat boys behind me singing (the wrong words) very loudly to the songs they knew and talking through the ones they didn't.

4. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Yeah, it's really sad. It seems that people just want to show up to harass him, which is terrible. His antics earlier in his career are coming back to haunt him, but I kind of feel really bad for the guy. He can't even play a show anymore without people trying to screw with him.

It seems that half the crowd shows up to egg him on to have a meltdown.

Seems a lot like Anton Newcombe from Brian Jonestown Massacre in that half the crowd just shows up to mess with him as well.

I wish the crowd would turn on the idiots and tell them to STFU so he can play his show.

I've seen Adams probably 10 times. Never saw a bad show. Saw one very short show, but it was fantastic. He's truly a great musician and vocalist.

If people would just leave the freaking guy alone he do some amazing stuff.

5. Solomon

Solomon Member

I don't understand someone spending money and time to see someone they do not like? The irony is pretty damn funny when you think about it. Talk about not having a life.

6. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. I've been debating whether to try and go to the Charleston show next month. I caught his solo tour in Atlanta a few years ago (Elton John joined him for a song or two) and was mostly unimpressed because he came across as a drunken arse, but I'm a fan of the albums and especially the Cardinals.

7. dB

dB Member

Definitely go see him. Just be prepared to be surrounded by a bunch of idiots.

8. dB

dB Member

9. Harrison0811

Harrison0811 Supporting Member

I get to see him in two weeks! Im excited

10. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

he's playing a few miles away from me as we speak. i wish i had gotten tickets! i have a few friends at the show right now, and they're telling me that he sounds fantastic.

i hope to catch more of him post-hiatus. he is truly one of my favorite artists of all time and is a MAJOR inspiration to me in terms of songwriting.

11. B Vance

B Vance Member

I've really gotten into Ryan Adams lately, mostly from listening to his live shows (he allows and encourages taping and sharing all his concerts). After hearing this report, perhaps this is the best way to enjoy his shows...

12. cram

cram Member

odd. Last I saw him perform there was none of the bad crowd described.

13. Falstaff

Falstaff Member

I just got back from the Boston show. Amazing. The Cardinals are a great band, waaay better than the sum of its parts. The interplay/weaving between the two guitars and the pedal steel really creates a deep tapestry of sound, even when they are blasting. The drummer is fantastic as well.

Jack is right about the tone...awesome. Those are non-reverb Princetons?

The crowd wasn't bad at all; a lot of filming via cell phone but not too many yahoos, and my yahoo tolerance is probably lower than most because I don't get out much. More older folks than I expected (including me, I suppose).

Check them out, folks. :)

14. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

Man I didn't know he was on tour. I thought he was taking a break from music because of chronic tinnitus (and his engagement to Mandy Moore) and he was going to write...

15. Falstaff

Falstaff Member

He did have some sort of earplugs in from what I could tell.

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

So no Summer of '69 then?

17. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

18. soulohio

soulohio Member

what songs did Adams sing in Whiskeytown? I can't tell who sings what and I got Cardinology and Wilco...strange I can't pick out who sings what.

19. JukeboxFup

JukeboxFup Member

This is tight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S54fahpKTkI&feature=related

Generally, I feel that a few songs off of each album are truly great (come pick me up is one of the best) but alot of his stuff doesnt really hit me. He does have alot of songs I dig when taking his entire body of work into account tho. The man sure can sing. The wharf rat at the jammys wheh hes using that gibson barney kesel-looking archtop is pretty awesome as well.

20. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Hell yes.

I genuinely tried listening to his earlier solo stuff, but I just though it was too fruity/poppy.

Once he came back to where he started with whiskeytown with forming the cardinals,...those are some of my favorite albums I own right now.