Saw Sean Costello back in early 2000s. Didn't fully appreciate him.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by VintagePlayerStrat, Mar 23, 2020 at 6:23 PM.

1. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

It was at Warmdaddy's in Philly, nice and up close, with a gal I also didn't fully appreciate at that time.

Sean was a monster player, yet restrained, with incredible soul. Wish he wasn't gone. I can only imagine the artist he would have grown into. I'm listening to his music these days though, especially.

2. Harryq

Harryq Member

Yes, I saw him in a small club in Augusta, Ga. I remember he sounded fine with that old goldtop of his. Gone way too soon. I think he would have been one of the greats.

3. Matt L

Matt L Member

I never got to see him live, but I agree he would’ve been huge. One of the great musical losses of all-time imo. He was special.

4. gmann

gmann Member

Tremendous talent, singing and playing. Gone way too soon.

5. JK1965

JK1965 Member

A good friend of mine produced some albums for him. He was the real deal.

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

I discovered Sean posthumously but was immediately hooked. What a talent. Gone way to soon.

7. cycler

cycler Supporting Member

My wife and I were fortunate enough to see him when he was the guitar player for Susan Tedeschi. Stanhope NJ if I remember correctly. It was also the first time I saw Buddy Guy live. Great show. Sean had the goldtop and BG tele. Oh yeah, the singer was pretty good herself.

sahhas and VintagePlayerStrat like this.
  8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

9. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

Sean was a special talent, and a kind soul. I’m thankful I got to see him and know him a little.

10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

One of my true favorites. I had just really gotten into him and had 3 of his records. Then he was gone.

He was head and shoulders above many in the blues/rock/soul music category, at least to me. He was young, but so deep. There could be great joy and humor in his delivery or extreme heartache and sadness. Truly an enormous loss. I never saw him live.

11. stark

stark Supporting Member

12. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

This is what drew me to him and his music. He just felt so legit. And that’s a feat which isn’t easy to do as a young white guy. But to me he had a lot of pain, longing and suffering in his playing, vocals and music. It just felt real compared to most of the “blues” guys out these days. Like he let you way up into him every time he took the stage or played. Some kind of door opened.
    He’s still to only one to ever nail this song imo. And this is damn near an impossible tune to cover and get “right”. Even some of the blues greats cover(ed) it and failed to get that deep feeling of longing that Otis brought out. This video pretty much represents everything I’m trying to say about Sean Costello. RIP

Stratofreak, Birdseye, Shnook and 3 others like this.
  13. KestnerGS

KestnerGS Supporting Member

One of the best all around blues guys of the last 50 years imo

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

You guys may think I am nuts, but Sean threw his heart and soul into his playing and singing, whilst holding nothing back, in the same sort of way that Jeff Buckley did in another genre. Young guys, throwing everything down and just leaving a mark on you so you will never forget them. So intense and so vulnerable and too sincere for their own good. Living only in the moment.

How do you keep a fire that burns so bright, from burning straight through and leaving nothing? You are alive so long as you are singing and playing, but the moment the show is over, there's sometimes nothing but despair.

15. MR.K

MR.K Member

I'd not seen the Levon Helm clip before, thanks. Jonnie Johnson on piano was a nice surprise too.

sahhas likes this.
  16. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I think you’re right. I’ve read about guys who are so incredibly vibrant and alive for the 2 hours on stage, but really really struggle with the other 22 hours.

Whatever the truth if it Sean was one of those guys who clearly put more into his performances than most people are capable of doing.

VintagePlayerStrat and sahhas like this.
  17. james evans

james evans Member

Saw him at a Blues Festival in MA, had never heard of him but was mightily impressed. All the things people said great tome, soul, singing power...he had it all.

VintagePlayerStrat likes this.
  18. amoodymule

amoodymule Silver Supporting Member

I was trying to find out if I had seen him with Susan Tedeshi back in 98?

She opened for ABB in Concord Ca, from what I remember, she played most of the solos, that makes me not believe that I did :(

RIP Sean, what a awesome soul your music has :D

Anybody know?

VintagePlayerStrat likes this.
  19. Stratofreak

Stratofreak Member

I think a big part of Sean that gets overlooked is his songwriting. It's said that he woke from a dream and put this together in a couple of minutes. Gone too soon never applied more to an artist than it does for Sean Costello.

20. Birdseye

Birdseye Silver Supporting Member

Sean was an amazing songwriter and learned a lot collaborating with Paul Linden. Sean had an amazing ear. I was hanging out in his hotel room once before a festival gig where we were both playing, he was coming out of the shower and I was sitting there noodling around on his gold top, playing a real weird set of chords and unorthodox progression that I had worked on a bit with Linden. Sean said he liked it and asked if he could use it in a song. I said sure. He hadn’t even looked at me or asked what it was, he heard it and had it.