Saw the Black Crowes Last Night...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by timmers, Oct 24, 2008.

1. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

...at the 9:30 Club here in DC.

I would consider myself a "longtime" and "huge" fan of the band. That said, here's my personal verdict: underwhelming, meandering, boring.

When they play a riff together, or a chorus, or a verse, or some other piece of organized musical material, they sound better than any rock band I've ever heard. But they did those things only after countless 10-minute segments of "jams to nowhere" that included numerous weak guitar solos by Luther Dickinson, meandering harmonica solos by Chris, and even a freaking DRUM SOLO. Gorman, much as I adore his sound on record and his playing with the band, is just not the kind of player that should be taking solos. It was almost embarrassing. Much of it was literally boring to the point of distraction.

They did look pretty cool. Beards everywhere. Could've used a straight moustache or two, though. Bring back Marc!

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Good post.

I hate when every single concert review is IT WAS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN, MAN AND LIKE, I'VE SEEN 'EM ALL!

3. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Man that's bad news and I am a huge fan too. I was afraid this might happen. The thing about them is, the next night they will play the rockingest set anyone has ever heard and absolutely rip the house down. I think they are just a very honest band and they play what they are feeling which covers a lot of emotional ground for these guys. Maybe they were just feeling like sh!t so ...

OTOH, Luther does seem to me to lend a certain, how shall I put it, low energy vibe to the band. I think they are better when they have someone driving that fire like Mark Ford did, but I am not one to dwell on the past. It is what it is and everythang is everthang.:D

4. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I dont even care for the Marc Ford stuff...it's okay, and he's a great player and all...they just seemed a better band to me when they are in more direct rockin mode. Less meandering solos.

No offense to Marc Ford fans, JMO.

5. Tim P

Tim P Member

I was at the show too. I'm a more recent fan of their stuff and it's the first time I saw them live. I thought the drum solo was an old rock and roll relic that was not needed. And I agree that the long space jam thing was boring - I kept waiting for them to break into something.

I did like a lot of what Luther was doing. I thought there was some good slide stuff and the sound/tone from the black strat he was playing was really great. People around me were really into it - both the new stuff and the older stuff they played. The highlight for me was when they played The Girl from the North Country.

I thought they covered a lot of styles and their were plenty of cool guitars the Rich and Luther played.

6. Sixteen Down

Sixteen Down Member

Big fan here. I saw them a couple of times earlier this year and both times they were very "on". That's too bad they weren't in better form. I really wanted to see them at the 9:30 (seen some great bands there) because I figured that the tour was winding down and they would be relaxed and tight. Cool to hear that they're covering The Girl from the North Country.

7. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I saw them not too long ago in Philly, earlier on this tour, and it was a great show.

That being said, I have seen them when they "went off" and it can get un-focused. I think they do have a tendancy to get into aimless jams. I think they are at their best when they are improvsing in more of a controlled manner, either within the framework of the song or in a more structured jam section.

I bet they'll be better tonight. That's the great thing about the Crowes, they do a totally different show every night.

8. gibson60

gibson60 Member

I hope so. My buddy and I are heading down from Baltimore to check 'em out. We were originally planning on going last night too but it didnt work out. I guess we didn't miss that much. This will be my third time seeing them since July.

9. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I was curious what the concensus was with the addition of Luther. After reading the GP article, I've been curious about the new album, but haven't heard much from it.

I saw them on the Page tour and was very impressed with that lineup

10. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Wow. I'd consider Luther's playing anything but weak. I saw them 3 times this summer. First show was in July and was great. I've got the recording of that show and I'm not dreaming - it was great.
    Second time was a bit underwhelming. Just a different vibe alltogether (Wolftrap in August).
    Just saw them 2 weeks ago in Richmond and have a recording of that show as well. I enjoyed myself at that one and the recording bears this out. Forty Four Blues/jam was kick ass.
    I can see where one might not dig the jams and drum solos. A lot of fans just want the band to play their well known material and they've been doing a lot of covers on this tour.
    I think they're growing and moving away from the harder sound they've embraced in the past. But just when you think the Crowes are going in one direction, they shift gears.
    I personally love all their stuff, so it's all good to me.
    The new album is great, IMO.

11. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

My last show with them was two Fridays ago in Atlantic City and it was actually overwhelming. I have seen 10 shows since 2005 and seen Marc, Paul and now Luther. The A.C. show was incredible with a great song selection and an amazing opening jam. I would agree that for the casual fan who only knows Remedy, Twice as Hard, Angels, Hard to Handle, etc the shows since the reunion are not for you. These shows are hocked full of morsels like off-beat covers, incredible and often incindiary jams and a boatload of cool guitars and guitar sounds. I love the Crowes and hope to see them 50 more times before they retire.

12. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

These are great comments - it's good to hear that lots of folks are coming away from other BC shows with positive responses. Like I said initially, when they're ON and doing something together, they're a hard band to top.

As for material, I've seen them enough to never hear 'Remedy' or 'Twice as Hard' again and die a happy boy; I'd actually prefer them to play all new material, covers, unreleased tunes, etc.To me, it just gets grating when aimless mid-tempo blues guitar solo-fest's seem to dominate what could really be a great, driving show.

Luther-wise, I'll stand by my unimpressed impression of him. I've seen him a bunch with N.MissAllStars & liked him much better in that setting. Marc & Audley of Crowes' lineups past just seemed to have bigger sounds, bigger attitudes, & were able to get on top of the band more. Luther's a little unconvincing as the "lead" player to me in the current BC context.

That said, I'm sure that playing next to someone so overbearing/loud/controlling/original/angry/cool as Rich could throw anyone off their game!

13. m@2

m@2 Member

reminds me of some Jane's Addiction shows I saw in the early/mid 90's. Like the BC, they were also a band capable of putting on both the BEST and the Worst show on a given night. Kept things interesting though, never knew what you would get

14. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

I saw them a few months ago and am going to another show next month. Luther's amazing, of course, but I don't think he's the best fit with this incarnation of the band. But they're friends, which is important. I understand them not wanting to bring in some stranger or hired gun-type just because he might sound, look, and act more the part.

I must admit to being an enormous Marc Ford fan, though. Few players speak to me on a gut level like he does.

15. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

I've asked a few times but have never got a response. Why did Audley leave the band? I also think Marc fit the band great. Luther not so much, not a big fan of all the slide stuff, not my cup of tea.

16. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I don't know that Audley ever left so much as the band went on hiatus due to the stresses of Rich and Chris bickering and Chris' desire to do the solo thing-NEM. Glad they are back and the brothers seem genuinely happy about playing together again. There is a maturity level there that was missing in the old days. I miss Marc and Crazy Old Ed for that matter, although the A.C. show was the first time I actually heard and liked Adam McDougal's keyboard playing. Do yourselves a favor and purchase or download the 10/10/08 A.C. show from www.liveblackcrowes.com. Killer show.