Saw The Smithereens at Daryll's House last night

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by handyman11, May 24, 2015.

1. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Vov AC30 and Fender Deluxe Reverb for the 2 guitar players,,, band was tight, sound was great , but the PA at that place is tremendous .....

Jim had a Ric and then a Tele, and I never realized how great a Tele can sound doing straight
    Rock and Roll. Seemed like a lot of Phaser or Vibe , but tone was nice.

Never was a huge fan, but as they went through the 2 hour set, realized they had a great collection of songs ....also did a medley with The Who, Free, etc at the end of the show ...

Soothsayer and xStonr like this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Member

You were at Daryll's house?

3. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

The Smithereens are still around? I thought they were only a memory.

MikeyG and picnic like this.
  4. crossbones

crossbones Member

Only a girl like you would say something like that.

5. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Did Daryl do some tunes with them too?

6. handyman11

no, Daryl wasn't around, but I hear he is there alot ....incredible sound room near the bar .... they do record there from what i heard ...

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

We opened for them 2 years ago, and Jim used a '52 RI Tele, into a TS-9 and a JCM800 2203 and 4x12. Sounded amazing, as did the whole band.

Along with Cracker, they're one of my favorite bands from that era - really great songs and man, they can still bring it live.

Exceedingly nice and friendly guys, too.

8. handyman11

The drummer used the house drums , from what it looked like, so I'm wondering if they also just used the amps provided ... definitely had some phase or univibe thing going on, with Jim's guitar , also ... he started doing Pete Townsend windmills during some songs , one of them being a cover of 'Behind Blue Eyes', so had to be dome 'Who' influence at some point .. ...

9. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

As a card-carrying Smithereens anorak I have always loved them to death. Still regret that Mike isn't playing bass with them.

The '2011' album was one of the few times I've heard any band get close to their early, audience-building sound and feel...Don Dixon's return as producer was vital.

Jim Babjak has always gone with the JCM800 as mentioned above...he even stated in interviews he'll rent them if necessary but it may have been a contingency situation.

Edit: I saw a Facebook post with the amplifier backline as described upthread.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  10. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

My Smithereens story. I was in my guitar tech's shop picking up a guitar they had done some work on. At the counter is Pat DiNizio talking to Joe, the shop owner and Jay reg director for Guitar Center. I demo the guitar and play the lead to "Only A Memory." Pat looks over and says "Hey, that's my song!" I said I had just seen the band a couple of weeks ago in Lakewood, NJ. great show and the band still kicks ass. We talked for a good bit and I said I've always been a fan since the 80's. Turns out my brother in law signed them to their first big record contract with Capitol back in the 80's. Pat said I did a good job on the Only a Memory intro, but he was sticking with Babjak.

11. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Is Daryll's House the old Town Crier?

12. handyman11

Yea, up in Pawling ... first time there ..great place .....

amphog likes this.
  13. playthecray

playthecray Member

Never saw them live. They must be big fans of The Who. I have full version of Tommy by the Smithereens which is actually pretty good.

14. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Love those guys! Tele's into AC30's/deluxe reverbs are a thing of beauty.