Saw Tommy Emmanuel last night

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by bogdan101, May 27, 2015.

1. bogdan101

bogdan101 Member

What a show! And he's doing it all by himself, making it sound like a whole band is backing him. The highlight of the night was when he said: " Somebody asked me today to play some Jimi Hendrix. So it took me about 3 minutes to come up with this arrangement of Purple Haze." Which then he proceeded to play. :omg :bow

sacakl likes this.
  2. Doom Man

Doom Man Member

The man is an absolute musical monster in every way possible.

Che_Guitarra, Bluesful and amoodymule like this.
  3. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

One of the best!

4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Is there any footage?

5. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

I've had the pleasure of seeing him performing and it was an absolute joy. He could have performed for another hour and the packed theater would have stayed riveted.

He came by a couple of weeks ago and I so wanted to see him, but the tickets were nearing the three digits and the seats would have put me so far back that I wouldn't have been able to see his technique, which is half the fun.

Hope he'll come back soon.

6. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

Tommy is great!

I really like this Tedx presentation he did.
    My Life As A One Man Band.

sacakl likes this.
  7. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

That's on my bucket list.

8. Yossi

Yossi Member

A wonderful person as well as being a most incredibly great guitarist.
    I've seen him 3 times so far, and I won't miss an opportunity to see him again and again.

Here's a picture I took from the front row at a concert.

[​IMG]

9. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

Mind-blowing stuff. I haven't had the chance to see him play live but that might need to change.

10. soulohio

soulohio Member

is he on a US tour now?

11. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

I saw him the other night too. Really enjoyed it. I have to say though, it's not really my kind of music in general...I mean I appreciate the unbelievable technical mastery but about 30 minutes into the show I sorta found myself wishing I could just hear a nice cowboy chord tune. It was actually a really nice break when he did Hurt pretty much straight...

at some points it really felt like I was watching more of a circus act than a musical performance.

12. frennis

frennis Member

He's great, and puts on an entertaining show in addition to the guitar heroics.
    It's a great business model too, almost no overhead (just him and his guitar), but he's charging the same price or more than bands hauling around a full band, roadies, equipment, trucks.
    Kind of like a stand up comedian who plays theaters, just walks in, grabs the mic, and goes to work, and collects the big check.

13. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

I don't say this often but that's a weird opinion.

This is the first time I've ever heard anybody describing Tommy as anything but musical. Steve Vai, he is not.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  14. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

well, it was all very musical...don't get me wrong. But there were times where it felt (to me) like too much. Again though, the technical mastery is just mind blowing. I was given the ticket as a gift so I'm not a "fan" per se. Loved the playing but just not the sort of thing I'd normally go for.

The circus act comment referred mostly to the "drum" part of the show...cool as it was.

15. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

I REALLY wanted to see Frank Vignola .. bought the tickets months ago.. was very excited.
    Death in the family and I had to give away the tickets.. hope he comes back. My coworker got the tickets and was very impressed with the whole show.

16. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Indeed. The word "monster" is used too loosely these days. It really does apply to him.

17. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

To be honest, I have the same feeling after listening to those Joe Pass solo performances, there's a fantastic live show on you tube. Seeing them live is undoubtedly exciting. The artistry is amazing, but I get sensory overload, and switch to Anourer Brahim (?spell) on the oud for a respite. Love 'em all, tho.

18. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

I love a lot of his tunes.

I feel like I would have a hard time sitting through a two hour performance of just his playing tho.

That is more of a jab at my inability to sit still than his work as a musician and a performer.

19. MarkL8

MarkL8 Silver Supporting Member

Saw him a half a dozen times and had the pleasure to meet him twice. Not only is he a fantastic Guitarist he is also one of the nicest people you would want to meet.

20. stucker

stucker Member

I've seen him perform several times and met him once. I think he may be the greatest guitar player of all time. And he is a very humble, nice person too. I can't wait to catch one of his shows again.