SAWStudio

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by malabarmusic, Jan 14, 2005.

1. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Any love on TGP for SAWStudio? On a standalone basis, it appears to be competitive to ProTools HD with a lower pricetag (and 100% native to boot). With the add-on MIDI program, it would seem to do everything one could want from a DAW, and claims (backed by technological explanations and user affirmations) to deliver superior sound compared to floating-point-based packages such as Logic, DP, Samplitude, etc., while matching and/or exceeding their feature lists.

I've read quite a bit on various recording forums, but was wondering if anyone here had given it a go.

- DB

2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

How do you figure not being floating point is a good thing?
    Also I was under the impression Logic and DP weren't floating point.
    FWIW, I workeed on SAW befoer and I like it fine. But for native stuff I take Sequoia any day of the week in this price level. And in the lower pricing Samplitude or Nuendo.

3. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

I'm no mathematician, but this article makes a good case as to why fixed point is the better approach. I've not been in a position to know whether I could actually *hear* a difference, but some people definitely do.

I'm almost positive that Logic, DP, Cubase, PTLE, Samplitude, and most common DAW applications are floating. Pro Tools HD is the only one I've come across besides SAW that is fixed point.

What about Sequoia do you prefer over your experience with SAW? This matters a whole lot more to me than algorithms. :) Before discovering SAW, I had been leaning toward Samplitude (the cost/value proposition for Seqouia doesn't appear to work for my situation), so any direct comparison insights you can share would be much appreciated.

- DB

4. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Except it conviently overlooks the fact that the lesser dynamic headroom is the bigger issue. I like not having to worry about overs...which on fixed point stuff is a concern.
    I haven't used Logic in a while...but at version 5.5 it used to be fixed seeing that you had to convert all the 32 bit files to 24 bit. Cubase SX 2 is certainly floating point. Which to me is a good thing. As is Samp/Sequoia. Don't know ebough about DP. And PT...no thanks.

As for Sequoia...it's really simple, it sounds better..or to put it more aptly...less colored than anything else.
    The reason I use it over Samplitude is that I need some of its feature like the 4 point editor when I edit for folks.
    Bottomline, of all the stuff I run...Nuendo3, Sequoia8, Samp8 etc...they all do something I like but the Samp/Sequoia thing is sonically DA BOMB...IMO of course.

5. joseph

joseph Member

Ed, I know you mic your amps...what's your hardware interface to the PC (..or MAC?)..thanks!

6. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I have a question.

How do you compare price of a software package, like saw, to a hardware package, like PTHD? Thats kind of like saying Windows XP is cheaper than a G5.

H2H

7. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Well, a DAW is a computer plus software plus an interface between the two. PTHD just packages the latter two pieces together. With SAW or any other native DAW software, you need to price in the interface of your choice along with the Mac or PC.

- DB