Say hello to the Offset Twins...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cookedbutok, Jan 23, 2015.

1. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

My K-Line Texola and the newest member of the family, an Ernie Ball Albert Lee MM90. This is the most versatile combination of 2 guitars I've ever had, I can cover so much ground between these 2...

[​IMG]

2. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

3. grooveht

grooveht Member

Awesome! The K-line is very cool, but I really dig that AL. I have an HH AL with a rosewood neck, and it kills; congrats! How does it quack on the 2 and 4 positions?

4. mscotts

mscotts What?! Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful...They look like they get along well together!

5. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

That's the most surprising thing! 2 and 4 are VERY strat-esque tonally, which means I can get both strat and the classic beefy P90 tone in 1 and 5, and a hybrid in 3. Very pleased with what this can do tonally, and the neck...is amazing. Combine all that with what my K-Line can do already, and I've got Tele, Gretsch, P90, and Strat tones in 2 guitars. Plus a bunch of cool unique tones in between.

6. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

Only one fight so far...

7. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

One other thing that I really like about this guitar is the P90 Silent Circuit thing that they install in these guitars. Most definitely the quietest P90 setup I've ever played through.

8. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

9. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Geez. I've been tempted by Telemaster styles recently. Mind me asking how much one of those KLines would cost?

10. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

K-Line makes phenomenal guitars, it's been my #1 since I had it built by him after meeting him and playing his guitars at the Dallas Guitar Show. I think these normally run in the $1900-2200 range.

11. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Lotsa scratch for a bolt-on neck. Either way, looks great. I am picturing a gold foil in the neck and metallic Sherwood Green.

12. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

It wasn't cheap, but 2 years later, it has definitely been worth it. Chris (from K-Line) does all his own CNC in his shop, sprays nitro finish...and he does all his own finish work/set-up, etc. I looked at a ton of different companies when I set out with this guitar in mind and he was by far the best value, compared to many companies that cost the same or more for essentially partscaster built guitars (Nash, TMG, etc.)

That's not saying you can't build a fine guitar on a parts build, just that you shouldn't have to pay 3x value to have someone put it together. In the end, for what I wanted, K-Line was an awesome choice. Chris is awesome to work with and was great at communicating along the way.

A gold foil would be sweet in the neck of one of these for sure!

13. strumnhum

strumnhum Member

Both are excellent--would love to hear the tones that come out of the pickup combo of the K-Line. And so relieved to find that, from the title, someone wasn't discussing a botched boob job!!

14. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Just to be transparent...the CNC operation is not in my shop. It is another location in STL. A few of us went together on a machine to save money. None of us are at a production level to warrant full time need. So, we work together with one operator to ensure the machine keeps working. A couple of guitar and guitar related operators and fixture manufacturer. Win win for us all....and keeps QC as high as possible.

15. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Those both look like a lot of fun. Congrats!

Botched boob jobs are the worst! It's like trying to carry on a conversation with someone who has a very lazy eye. :messedup

16. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Telemasters are the best! I've got one from Danocaster. How do you like the Filtertron in the neck? I'm using a standard Tele neck pickup.

17. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

Just saw this. I actually have the Lollar pickups "LollarTron" in the neck, I initially wanted to try one of the TV Jones in the neck, but after talking with Chris we landed on the LollarTron, and I'm glad I did. It's great, I'd say it's more like half PAF/half Filtertron, tone wise. It's not as bright as a classic Filtertron/TV Jones, but still chimey and not dark like a PAF either. Very responsive, cleans up real nice and has lots of bite. I'm a fan.

18. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

Sorry for the confusion. I remember you telling me this when we were initially talking! Can't say enough about the Texola, absolutely love it!