Say what you will about Reverb...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ((TechnicolorSkyline)), Jan 12, 2020.

1. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

But every pedal I’ve been bumping on here for weeks on end tends to sell within just a few days after posting there.

Yeah fees and taxes suck on Reverb, but I adjust prices to compensate and they still sell. I would much rather sell here, but it seems I’m going to have to use Reverb if I want to move anything these days.

I always try to price competitively here too, sometimes at $100 loss on a brand spanking new pedal that was only $220 new and yet it just sits here.

What happened here? Why is it so hard to sell anything on TGP nowadays? Are people not using TGP as much as they used to?

Anyone else experiencing this as well?

patdeezel, bxlxaxkxe, Madsen and 33 others like this.
  2. burton56

burton56 Member

Ok, I will say what I want about Reverb. Ok, here it goes. Reverb is good. I like it with delay.

3. King Rat

King Rat Member

I gave up buying on here because 9/10 sellers won't ship internationally. No matter how nicely you ask.

I mean, we pay the extra shipping/fees, but no, anything outside the Continental US is viewed as scum apparently. I sell a lot of gear from AUS to the States through reverb though.

Krausewitz, rowla, Gevalt and 21 others like this.
  4. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

forums are a crappy way to surf merchandise. Title can only be so long. It’s a clunky interface made for discussion. Not commerce.

Reverb, otoh, is an awesome way to surf merchandise. Slick interface, good visuals. Ability to check out sans human interaction.

(btw, when will forum sellers learn to just factor pp fees and shipping into their prices? I don’t want to go back and forth 5 times only to fill up 10% of my pm allotment, and find out you could have just charged $10 more to make this simple. )

Gevalt, bsacamano, dbeeman and 12 others like this.
  5. whateverdude

whateverdude Supporting Member

I use to sell here back I the day with no problem at all. I don’t seem to have any luck here at all these days. I have to revert to Reverb if I want to sell something. Weird.

Gevalt, dbeeman, Moniker and 3 others like this.
  6. Colnago

Colnago Member

People don’t trust each other on a platform that isn’t designed to sell stuff?

TrickinSid, Keg8605, sxcustom and 4 others like this.
  7. silverburstlp

silverburstlp Member

Biggest Problem is thread titles PEDAL Sell OFF, Tons of PedS, Prices dropped.
    Then you open it and its a DOD 250 still on blowout at Harmon for 40 asking 120.

Or you open it and its just a link to their reverb shop, not any reason to purchase here they just push you to reverb.

funkapus, KissTone, WornFrets and 8 others like this.
  8. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

I’ve had equal ease and frustration on both platforms. Seems to depend more on the item than the platform. Craigslist is where I do best, but everyone’s local market is different.

I generally avoid reverb as a buyer for person to person deals, due to the recent tax changes in my state. It’s not that I dislike the platform it’s just rarely the best option these days.

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

reverb is great. i always list here first and it's always free shipping. when i list at reverb i add for fees, shipping and a higher price. i have never had something not sell on reverb. if you list fair, it goes pretty fast.

10. fendervato

fendervato Member

In my opinion all factors being equal (price, availability, photos, etc) I’ve had a much better seller experience than here. The fees and taxes are worth it to me if selling a pedal is paramount.

11. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Supporting Member

Reverb these day for me too. Yeah TGP has become hard to buy on anymore. The prices in the listings here are ridiculous. It’s like full of blues lawyers selling their stuff for more than they paid for it. I used to buy and sell everything on TGP buy/sell. Sadly I haven’t bought or sold in a couple years from TGP forum. So sad! It’s like when I go on the local craigslist here and folks price their stuff for more than you can buy it new... and what’s funny is I see stuff sitting that folk have been trying to sell for YEARS!

ross1shark, Gevalt, jiml and 2 others like this.
  12. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

Sales taxes on used gear on Reverb, though, suck.

Footbutt, Deadpool_25, ford and 11 others like this.
  13. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

I have sold 13 pedals on Reverb in the last three weeks. Pretty painless. There was one guy who returned a Ventris I think because of buyers remorse. I resold it the day I got it back. If you are realistic and price things fairly then they move pretty fast.

I started trying to sell some of it here first but no takers. Went to reverb and bumped the prices a little but still at the lower end of the range because I wanted to move things and voila: gone.

ToneLounge, Deadpool_25 and ford like this.
  14. aisling

aisling Silver Supporting Member

Love me some Reverb, I try to price with integrity, realistic depreciation for common pedals, fully aware that the alternative is it sitting, hoarding up space in my small studio. So grateful such a platform exist for us ordinary folk to move on unused gear.

15. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

I'm going to rant a bit...

I don't attempt to buy things here any longer because I find that things are consistently more affordable on Reverb. It's also easier for me to search and compare multiple listings.

I used to message people on here, make an offer, reference active Reverb ads to justify my offer...and then be flatly declined because the Seller doesn't want to take a loss.

When I'm a Seller, it's very easy for me to price what I'm selling. Some folks here make it sound so complicated...they have to factor in fees, or shipping, or taxes, or a negotiation buffer.

It's very simple...I go on Reverb, search for the pedal that I want to sell, and look at the ones which are in the same condition as mine (mine are always mint or excellent...though I always list my stuff as excellent). I then price mine a bit below the lowest priced example in equal condition. My pedals sell quickly!

I buy most of my gear new when it's on-sale and/or with a coupon. Yes, I sell stuff for less than I paid... sometimes much less...but that's not a loss, that's the cost of getting to try lots of different gear.

A Buyer doesn't care what you net. They don't care if you're an individual or a huge retailer. They don't care if you're going to take a loss. They are just interested in getting the cheapest price that they can for something in the condition that they desire. And they expect free shipping. It's a Buyer's market!

McQ7, sgguitarzz, Not Orange and 34 others like this.
  16. stagolee

Fair point, but $25 a year flat is much less than I paid the previous few years selling on reverb, and I’m not a volume seller. As someone said, if selling the item is paramount, reverb has some nice benefits with a big market.

I’m generally happy to keep stuff as I’m not typically in any hurry to sell, so buying low and selling high is paramount. I rarely clear as much on reverb as my other options, and if it sits a little bit on the forum or CL I don’t care because I’m not managing inventory. Both good options for different situations.

fred_ likes this.
  17. stagolee

I agree that the emporium pricing should be less than reverb. I only follow up on posts listed less than reverb, which is plenty of them. I always sell for less on the forum as well, but price it such that I still clear as much or a little more than reverb. It’s sometimes a toss up. Craigslist has always been best in my market as a buyer or seller. Much more room for arbitrage because a lot of people don’t want to deal with online and shipping etc.

18. Matlock

Matlock Member

Reverb is a much bigger site than tgp. You have a significantly larger amount of people looking at your product and selling their own.

19. Ampegged

Ampegged Supporting Member

Reverb is the only place I have any luck selling...or even buying honestly. I have very little luck locally (Craigslist or FB Marketplace) & have all but nearly forgotten about Ebay (the interface & overall functionality on Reverb is much more appealing to me). Yeah the taxes have really changed the game, but that's not Reverb's fault.

20. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

I sell more stuff on Reverb than here. There's really no audience here as buyers. Sad really, since there's no tax here. And in terms of buying, not really a lot of decent choices. Mostly flavor-of-the-month overdrives. Seriously. Another tragedy, since I can save on taxes.

ford and dshobe like this.