Say what you will about Reverb...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ((TechnicolorSkyline)), Jan 12, 2020.

1. orogeny

orogeny Member

i've bought on reverb, but have only ever sold on ebay. am i missing out on something as a seller?

tubekingsley likes this.
  2. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

Shipping internationally can be a PITA. Nobody thinks you're scum, just sensitive. :p

3. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

This.

Even though people who comment on threads like this always say they set their prices appropriately, they virtually never do. I'm yet to find a listing here that I couldn't immediately search Reverb and find cheaper. :dunno

I've even been turned on to pedals I wasn't aware of in the Emporium, only to go buy one cheaper on Reverb.

You are selling to some of the most informed customers in the world. Do your own research and know how much what you are trying to sell is really worth. No one cares what you think its worth or how much you originally paid.

Not Orange, ford, funkapus and 4 others like this.
  4. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

It's often just not worth the extra work and risk.

If I sell something online, I can print shipping (post office or shipping company) online, slap the label on a box and drop it off in a night deposit box at my leisure.

For international, I've got to stand in line during business hours to fill out forms. Unless I'm getting a premium for the international sale, there's no shortage of buyers in the US so it doesn't make sense to go through the extra effort.

5. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member

Sales Tax on used gear is a d*ck punch. I loath that new feature.

But same as the OP and many others who have commented, gear sells on Reverb. For years TGP emporium was my first and last stop for gear both as a buyer and seller.

These days I list items here and eventually delete the thread as the pieces sell on Reverb. Buying is a tie. I still use both formats for purchases.

Size of the audience is much large on Reverb. And the overly savvy populate TGP.

But yeah sales tax on used gear really, really chaps my behind.

ford, gkelm, Ryno1331 and 1 other person like this.
  6. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Member

OMG! the talk forums on here?! 99% of the crap said about gear are completely misleading. Reviews based on bedroom volumes or way too much gain. Both cases that do not capture the true essence of the gear.

7. zerorez

zerorez Member

I sold and traded a **** ton of pedals here prior to the big software update to the forum a few years ago.

After the upgrade all my feedback and review ratings were gone?

Been selling on reverb a bit and have had no issues at all as a seller or buyer.

Squatch57 and woof* like this.
  8. The-Kid

The-Kid Member

Also describe "loss" .

Really no such thing IMO...even though accounting wise there is.

The market is a force of nature.....there really is no loss or gains.....its the way the market moves....its a force of nature

I mean there are losses and gains of course but what I am trying to say is, its best to abide by the way the wind is blowing to be a good seller, make as much when you can of course if possible but also know when to take a "loss"

RYAN1987M likes this.
  9. Nota

Nota Member

I stopped selling on here when they told me I couldn't require PPG. Because every other platform automatically believes the buyer, and it used to be different here.

Same here, I think there will be more local, under the radar selling as a result.

10. kingink

kingink Gold Supporting Member

I agree about the Emporium on TGP. I have't sold anything in the last year or two. I now sell everything on Reverb.

11. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

Half on, half off topic: do emporium buyers need to be supporting members?

12. monty

monty Member

Nope.

The_Bell likes this.
  13. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

It's the drama on tgp why I won't use or support the emporiums here

Gevalt and johnetone like this.
  14. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

Thanks. I will pay more attention in the future.

monty likes this.
  15. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

What monthly fee? I pay a one year membership subscription here...but primarily to support the site. Being able to use the Emporium is just a bonus.

16. stagolee

stagolee Silver Supporting Member

And yet I recently posted (and eventually sold locally) a generation loss for considerably less than any reverb listing then or now. When I decided to sell my attenuator a few weeks ago, I did what I always do. I researched the asking prices and sold listings on reverb and then listed it in the emporium for a little less. I’m rarely in a hurry so that’s my approach. A week or two later it was in the mail headed to a new home.

I’m currently looking for a cool octave pedal and my best option is from a fellow forum member. If I were to buy it on reverb I would pay more.

I think that each of the outlets is a good option to have, and none is the universal best for everyone or every case.

17. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

It’s funny. I have had the opposite experience. Granted, it’s been a couple of years since I last sold a pedal.

18. jacklickson

jacklickson Member

It’s a shame Reverb charges for minuets now. We all used to dance for free.

Sacrifice, dbeeman, funkapus and 5 others like this.
  19. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I have tried listing lots of items here.

(((((Crickets)))))

Put it on Reverb for the same price and it sells. So eventually I stopped listing here for the most part, even though I am happy to be a supporting member here.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    kingink likes this.
  20. underwound

underwound Supporting Member

Yeah, most stuff I list here first, and then eventually sell on Reverb at a higher price to cover the fee.

I do buy stuff on TGP though when possible. I like the people here, and have had generally really good experiences buying higher-end, more expensive items on this forum.

pete12string and tonedover like this.