Say you have 5K to spend on a killer 335 , what do you buy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tuumbaq, Jun 18, 2020.

1. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

Im on the hunt for a new ES 335 and just cant seem to find the right guitar right now.I want the closest thing to an actual vintage one for that money...A fairly meaty neck but not massive either , somewhere between .86-.89 I think.I absolutely despise the look of shiny chrome hardware and would prefer something a bit more dull looking..Like old nickel hardware, but doesnt have to be distressed...

Tried a few new regular Gibsons , none wowed me...Havent had a chance to play a custom shop but the ones I played where boring and not inspiring.Ill probably be buying online at this point , so as much as id like to find a used Gibson, Im not sure I can trust Gibson?I do have 3 post 2013 custom shop LesPauls and theyre all great.:dunno

I like the idea of a Collings, but from what I gather they dont exactly sound like a true vintage 335.Would love to hear more opinions on that...only a handful in the emporium but those dont fit my criteria I think.

I like Josh Williams MockingBirds but , the wait time is killing me and they are hard to come by on the used market..LA Vintage has 3 now but Im not really digging the sunburst finish all that much...Also worried about the resale case if I dont bound with it.

Where would guys go? Is there a reputable online dealer for those? What should I look for, any brands that Im missing? Heritage and Eastman are kinda meh to me but haven’t played one of those in the last recent years...Im sure they are great instruments for the money but I doubt they are KILLER guitars ? Or are they ?I feel like I maybe in a weird price bracket...Lots of cheaper guitars, or wayyy too expensive but I just cant seem to find a lot of options in that price range.

This is the worst problem to have...all that money to spend and cant find a way to use it...please help ! :D;)

BSG, nolenuttt and Miki Dord like this.
  2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Gibson VOS made to your specs?

3. The bear

The bear Member

Collings I-35lc is my favorite, but I would look into those new Gibson Custom Shop ES335 reissues. There is a 59, 61 and 64. Haven't tried one yet, but they look great. Also the Rusty Andersen ES335 is supposed to be great. Just saw one listed for 5K.

Derek77, woodylong, mikekim and 3 others like this.
  4. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

probably a million years wait time? ;)Lol...even then, im not convince Id trust Gibson to build a killer guitar but Id like to be proven wrong...Are those historics consistently great guitars now?

The bear likes this.
  5. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

I hear 335’s vary quite a bit even with the same model; not sure if this is true. If I had to buy online I would probably go with Wildwood; they have a huge selection and will work with you to cherry pick the right one. I got a Memphis made ‘63 ES-335 from them and very happy with it.

6. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

Where?I just checked the emporium and nothing there...Curious to hear why you’d look for a new CS reissue over your Collings? You feel like they would replicate that “sound” more accurately?I keep hearing the I35 lc is a fantastic guitar but its is own thing...

7. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

An Eastman. You have a better guitar and keep a whole bunch of money in your bank account.

8. The bear

The bear Member

I personally wouldn't choose any Gibson over my Collings I-35lc. It's my main guitar and favorite guitar. I remember playing an original 1962 ES 335 and I liked my personal I-35lc better. Other owners of vintage 335's tried mine and said the I-35lc was very 335 like.
    I suggested those Gibson's because I took it that you weren't considering Collings. I doubt you will find one in the emporium, they just came out. I have seen them at Willcutt's, Wildwood, Sweetwater, CME. To me the I-35lc sits in the 335 camp but has its own sound and vibe. More dynamic, more articulate. I like the slightly smaller size. Mine is under 7lbs too. Has the Throbaks. Sounds incredible. I think if you want a Gibson sound you should get a Gibson.

dogrocketp, nixpix, CH1982 and 3 others like this.
  9. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Collings I35.

I had a CS '59 for a couple days, an older one, that was amazing. I just couldn't get used to the big neck and only had 2 days to decide.

10. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I played one one time at Austin guitar house, through some amp they had (they have a lot of cool small maker amps) and got a pretty convincing BB King sound out of it. How close? I don't know, I've played some 60s 335 but none of the really early ones.

11. cycler

cycler Supporting Member

I'd buy a Heritage 535 and with the bucks left over, order a Hot Fudge w/nuts amplifier, thanks Allen Amplification.

dogrocketp, dblazer, Coltoncc and 6 others like this.
  12. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

For new, call Ken McKay and have him make you one. $5k will be short, so you'll need to find out how much they are right now.

For vintage, you can get a nice '68 ES-335 for $5k. However, most of them will have thin necks at the first fret. I got luck and got one with .85 at the first fret.

OR, for less money (like $3500 to $4000) you can get a KILLER blonde '69 ES-340. That is THE BEST value in vintage ES-335 style guitars. You've got to get a '69 (as early as possible), however. Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, no valute, orange label, nice chunky neck (maybe .87 at the first fret), T-Top pickups. Just a killer guitar.

13. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

14. The bear

The bear Member

Better than what?

InkStained and Hackdog69 like this.
  15. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

It was six/eight months pre-COVID, not sure about now. Nashville historics are a cut above.

tuumbaq likes this.
  16. Porschefender

Porschefender Supporting Member

mcuguitar and tuumbaq like this.
  17. straightblues

straightblues Member

When you are spending $5k for a guitar, you can afford a plane ticket to a major town to try out a few guitars. That is what I would recommend. I have owned several ES3XX over the years and I have played a lot. Both great vintage pieces and old dogs. There is a wide variance in feel and tone. I would want to play it, or at least make sure you can return it. Good luck in the search.

DeSolo, nolenuttt, InkStained and 6 others like this.
  18. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

For that budget, I vote for a Collings I35 LC also. 335 style guitars vary so much that the Collings will sound like some 335s but not like others.

Easyrom, tuumbaq and The bear like this.
  19. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Are you serious or fishing?

20. middlechainringguy

middlechainringguy PV = nRT Gold Supporting Member

Collings, Koll, Gibson ... so many great choices! Take a look at the C.P. Thornton Improv, too, though. Here's mine:

nolenuttt, Produktsumme, pats and 5 others like this.