Say you have 5K to spend on a killer 335 , what do you buy?

GulfportBound

Followup: For five large, I'd buy two of these and have change to spare (and I'm already tempted to offer to trade one Les Paul for one of these) . . .

brashboy

Another vote for Heritage 535/545/555 for sounding the most like a Gibson. And 1st rate quality.
The guys saying to get a 335 if ya want a 335 really tickle me.

The Heritage guitars are made in the original REAL Kalamazoo factory on the original equipment 335's were made on back in the day. They are more a real 335 than the Gibsons. Well, except for the Gibson name which many people have to have.

BSG

Clayton Custom Cabs
Silver Supporting Member
Im on the hunt for a new ES 335 and just cant seem to find the right guitar right now.I want the closest thing to an actual vintage one for that money...A fairly meaty neck but not massive either , somewhere between .86-.89 I think.I absolutely despise the look of shiny chrome hardware and would prefer something a bit more dull looking..Like old nickel hardware, but doesnt have to be distressed...

Tried a few new regular Gibsons , none wowed me...Havent had a chance to play a custom shop but the ones I played where boring and not inspiring.Ill probably be buying online at this point , so as much as id like to find a used Gibson, Im not sure I can trust Gibson?I do have 3 post 2013 custom shop LesPauls and theyre all great.:dunno

I like the idea of a Collings, but from what I gather they dont exactly sound like a true vintage 335.Would love to hear more opinions on that...only a handful in the emporium but those dont fit my criteria I think.

I like Josh Williams MockingBirds but , the wait time is killing me and they are hard to come by on the used market..LA Vintage has 3 now but Im not really digging the sunburst finish all that much...Also worried about the resale case if I dont bound with it.

Where would guys go? Is there a reputable online dealer for those? What should I look for, any brands that Im missing? Heritage and Eastman are kinda meh to me but haven’t played one of those in the last recent years...Im sure they are great instruments for the money but I doubt they are KILLER guitars ? Or are they ?I feel like I maybe in a weird price bracket...Lots of cheaper guitars, or wayyy too expensive but I just cant seem to find a lot of options in that price range.

This is the worst problem to have...all that money to spend and cant find a way to use it...please help ! :D;)
I would have Heritage build me one, I discussed it with them once already...it's going to cost all of $5K and maybe then some depending on what your taste is in finishes and fret markers.

BSG

Clayton Custom Cabs
Silver Supporting Member
The guys saying to get a 335 if ya want a 335 really tickle me.

The Heritage guitars are made in the original REAL Kalamazoo factory on the original equipment 335's were made on back in the day. They are more a real 335 than the Gibsons. Well, except for the Gibson name which many people have to have.
Agree 100% and they are happy to build whatever you can afford. I priced one out just before this COVID thing, now I'm hanging onto my disposable income for a while.

BSG

Clayton Custom Cabs
Silver Supporting Member
Im on the hunt for a new ES 335 and just cant seem to find the right guitar right now.I want the closest thing to an actual vintage one for that money...A fairly meaty neck but not massive either , somewhere between .86-.89 I think.I absolutely despise the look of shiny chrome hardware and would prefer something a bit more dull looking..Like old nickel hardware, but doesnt have to be distressed...

Tried a few new regular Gibsons , none wowed me...Havent had a chance to play a custom shop but the ones I played where boring and not inspiring.Ill probably be buying online at this point , so as much as id like to find a used Gibson, Im not sure I can trust Gibson?I do have 3 post 2013 custom shop LesPauls and theyre all great.:dunno

I like the idea of a Collings, but from what I gather they dont exactly sound like a true vintage 335.Would love to hear more opinions on that...only a handful in the emporium but those dont fit my criteria I think.

I like Josh Williams MockingBirds but , the wait time is killing me and they are hard to come by on the used market..LA Vintage has 3 now but Im not really digging the sunburst finish all that much...Also worried about the resale case if I dont bound with it.

Where would guys go? Is there a reputable online dealer for those? What should I look for, any brands that Im missing? Heritage and Eastman are kinda meh to me but haven’t played one of those in the last recent years...Im sure they are great instruments for the money but I doubt they are KILLER guitars ? Or are they ?I feel like I maybe in a weird price bracket...Lots of cheaper guitars, or wayyy too expensive but I just cant seem to find a lot of options in that price range.

This is the worst problem to have...all that money to spend and cant find a way to use it...please help ! :D;)
Perhaps I didn't read carefully enough before answering, sorry! Bad habits are slow to die.
It looks like you are looking for a guitar similar to a Gibson ES335. I thought you wanted an ES335.
Still, if it was my $5K I would be on the phone to the guys in Kalamazoo, MI

brashboy

I am not looking for a new guitar but I would take a Gibson over an Eastman any day.
Well, that's why they make so many kinds. But I think you can take great satisfaction that guys like you literally are keeping Gibson alive. A new guitar company making current Gibson-quality guitars at current Gibson prices would not last long, lol.

The bear

Well, that's why they make so many kinds. But I think you can take great satisfaction that guys like you literally are keeping Gibson alive. A new guitar company making current Gibson-quality guitars at current Gibson prices would not last long, lol.
I can't say I am keeping Gibson alive, I have never given a dime to the company.

GordRD

Although I used to yearn for one, I wouldn't buy a Gibson 335, I would get an Ibanez AS2630 or their current JSM100-VT. You could dismiss this with a "Oh, a Japanese copy" comment but if you get a chance to play one you'll see why I like them and might secretly admit they are simply better guitars in all respects :)

analogic

Why settle when you can just go with the real deal, here is my Gibson 1963 hand selected RI ;) Plays like dream and sound absolutely amazing.
I think I am going to be checking out this exact model on Friday--2016 Figured '63? How do you like it? Are they BBs or MHS pick-ups?

jlectka

Supporting Member
I can vouch for Heritage. I looked for a long time for a 335 and the several I tried came up short, and they were serious money. I’ve had the Heritage for a while and it still feels like It was worth the money. No regrets. I also got an Eastman SB59v and if their semi hollows are anything like the quality of this thing it would be a no brainer.

tuumbaq

Get a late 70s early to mid 80s MIJ 335, trust me.
You will get a 335 that looks and feels like a 50s model on the cheap.
Yeah, on that note...Im curious to hear more about Orville By Gibson 335’s....cheap , awesome reviews, wonder if theyre the real deal?

odbcp

A Gibson Nashville 335. Find one under 8 lbs.
Done.
Yeah. This is the correct answer. I picked up a Nashville Historic (are they all Historic from that CS?) ‘63 335, and it is just a monster guitar. Quality is perfect, sounds exactly like it should, great neck and fretboard. Has a few nice big dings through the lacquer in the front from the previous owner so I got it under $3k but man what an instrument.

If we’re not just talking Gibby’s, Collings I-35s are realllly nice. Had an early one, 2008 I think, and it was just too nice for me. Hence I sold it and ended up with the dinged up ‘63.

Reactions: Tag

TeleDawg

Supporting Member
I would totally go with a Collings I-35 or I-35LC, depending on how your ear hears things. Find a dealer with both, and A/B them back and forth with all pickup combos selected, and also with and without pedals. Collings quality and attention to detail is second to none. And someday when you sell it - you will - a Collings will sell a lot quicker than all the other nice, but lesser known brands. It is just like cars, refrigerators, stereos, etc. People buy the familiar and well-known.

Poor Edward

I think I am going to be checking out this exact model on Friday--2016 Figured '63? How do you like it? Are they BBs or MHS pick-ups?
This one is 2016 "Gibson Memphis 63 Block ES-335 Hand Selected" in Vintage Natural. MHS pickups. I've owned and played many 335s over the years and this is my favourite. Perfect combination of airyness and sustain in the sound department, neck shape is "thickish", has meat to it but is not too big.

This is my second Memphis 63 RI, the first one was the 50th anniv. model. That one was super nice also, a bit lighter in weight but also a bit less sustain. That one had Burstbuckers I believe, the MHS pickups are a bit different but both are very good IMO.