SBEQ for light breakup

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nibus, Mar 7, 2008.

1. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Just got a SBEQ yesterday. Very interesting pedal. I have found that with my higher output humbuckers it is acting almost like a very lite overdrive. Except the breakup sounds so much better than my Timmy.

This is not what i expected. I read that Bjorn said if you cranked the volume it would breakup, but I have the volume around 11:00??

Anyone else found this?

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

What kind of pickups do you have? I want to pick one up but the last thing I need it to do is distort.

3. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I was playing through Rio-Grande BBQ Humbuckers last night (moderate) and Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck and Jazz model in my Epiphone today (high output).

4. OOG

OOG Member

they break up pretty quickly

running at 18V will give you a bit more headroom

5. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

...but unity if before or after the breakup?

6. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

Right in the middle.

7. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I use mine as the lightest, slightest od/boost on the board. Its not an over the top breakup and is very musical. Makes my clean tone richer and thicker with the volume aroung 1:00. I'll keep the bass and treble at noon to start and adjust to suit by which guitars pickups need a tweek. A little bass fills out single coils and some of my humbuckers benefit from some treble push.

8. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

This is what happened to me as well, when I recently changed to using a guitar with Gibson Humbuckers - Classic 57s I think.

There is no distortion on the neck position, a little bit when both pickups are on and a lot when just the neck pickup is on.

Interestingly the distortion appears to only be in the treble range as lowering the treble reduces/removes it. Also raising the overall level will reduce the distortion but then the SBEQ is boosting my signal. I can max out the bass as much as I like and it does not distort, it is only the treble that seems to distort.

These observations are based on 9v battery operation and clean sounds. The distortion does not occur at all with Fender single coils.

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Is it the pedal distorting or is the pedal pushing the amp into breakup?

10. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Pedal is distorting on harder strumming, I listened through headphones extensively and there are traces of distortion that get worse the more treble I put through, whether from pickup switching or boosting the treble with the pedal. If I cut treble the distortion goes away.

This only happens with my LP not my Fender single coil guitar.

11. rob2001

rob2001 Member

If you can, try putting one or two pedals in front of it. Maybe the extra load will knock the level down enough to not distort. It sounds like the guitar is too hot for the pedal?

12. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Yeah I will try to do that, but I haven't got another clean type pedal to go in front of it (only got dirt pedals). I will try a test with a mains adapter, and possibly at higher voltages (it can take up to 18v).

13. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

That's exactly how I've ended up using mine.

14. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Yes the SBEQ is not 'transparent'.

Its overall 'service' is to give a bit of tube warmth and heat and to manipulate the hi-icepick treble that ruins many otherwise great FX tones ..... like a good tube pre it will give some pleasant distortion if pushed hard enough - this is really nice for running distortion pedals into brighter rigs --- it does wonders for Landys and Es and BJF drives etc.....sort of finishing them , giving that last 5% of sculpting

it also sounds alot like if you swapped your Jensens for Greenbacks, making your amp a good deal more pedal friendly...the way less powerful speakers breakup slightly

Another intended use for the SBEQ is with acoustic Piezo pickups ...

the Treble and Bass freq bands are non standard and are especially useful in tuning an electric acoustic (which also work nicely with an electric, Teles especially)

so you could think of it as an tube/speaker sim/peizo adapter, and its an EQ too ;)