SC>HB blender pot coil split fix

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Tone_Terrific, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

You know how splitting a hb for single coil tone often leaves one with a weak, thin, tone, esp if using a lower impedance pup.

I am experimenting with using a pot to blend in the tone from the unused half of the hb and it seems to work like a fat boost to reinforce the remaining single. Full on returns the pup to full hb mode. The loading effect remains undetermined, but not much.

Instead of using a switch to ground the point at which the 2 coils join, insert a pot as a variable (series) resistor to ground. This is to allow the unused coil to contribute some signal.

There may be a better way (?) and I am using a 230k pot that was already in the guitar and the sweep of tht is a bit radical, but the concept appears valid.

BTW, it also is effective in altering the tone from series wired pups as the single coil effect brightens the pairing.

Too many options?:huh

2. Marcel

Marcel Member

Looks like Joe Baren did this with his Two-Tone humbucker?

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Don't know about that one, but there are many ways of wiring pups and most of them have been done.

Many configurations don't do anything special and just add complexity of operation for a specialized application. I think I 'll try this for a while as it appears to be practical.

4. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Member

I think Barden tapped both coils for the lower output ,thereby retaining a humbucking effect.Not ever in single coil mode.