SC245 artist finish?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Colt, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Colt

Colt Member

Does the SC245 have that thick ass plastic (poly) all over it? Can you get them to spray nitro?

-Colt

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Semi-thick urethane, yes.

Nitro, no. Not unless you go private stock...

3. Colt

Colt Member

Thanks, man. I appreciate the info!

damn. Why can't they do a 245 Satin? blah.

4. Samba

Samba Member

I doubt we'll ever see a 245 satin, as the old SC Satin died off, and the SC 250 is about to lose the satin option for 2008. I'd personally want a gloss nitro finish on a 245 ala David Grissom sig.

5. Stike

Stike Member

I'm curious as to why so many people think a nitrocellulose finish is automaticlly thin and acrylic urethane/polyester finishes are automaticlly thick? I've resprayed a few guitars that came with a factory nitro. finish that was a good deal thicker than the non nitro ("poly") finishes used by many builders.

6. Colt

Colt Member

I know for a fact the PRS finishes are thick :) I giged a McCarty rosewood for 5 years..got real bad broke, and mom needed some help, so I moved back to Texas and sold my PRS to help her out...::sigh::...maybe I can go back to school after the summer..... :) Just sold it before the fall...and miss it alot.

Yeah, I'd prefer a gloss nitro like the DGT too....

7. Colt

Colt Member

ACtually, if I had my way. I'd have a SC245 with gloss nitro, and a rosewood neck. Don't really give a **** if it's indian, madagascar, or brazilian. Mr. Smith...if you're reading this, I gig 3-4 nights a week, and would play this everynight...I promise. :) Sponsor?

8. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

A good finish is a good finish whether it's plastic or bugjuice. Don't get bent out of shape about it. PRS finishes are excellent.

I AM with you 1000% about a rosewood neck option. I bought one of the IRW-necked Singlecut Trem Rosewoods, and can't believe what a difference the neck makes to the tone. I put some of Jim Wagner's Goodwood pickups in it, and it sounds absolutely huge! PRS seems to have gotten a good supply of IRW, so I'm glad to see the option on the Customs, so why not on the guitar that's really screaming for it, the SC245. In a heartbeat Paul, just sign me up.-Eric

9. Stike

Stike Member

Not to be argumenative or anything but I toured the plant a couple weeks ago and from what I saw and heard ( I talked turkey with their finish guy for a long time ) they aren't "thick". When I think thick I think about all the Asian imports, that stuff is thick. Yeah nitro. might be lower solids but 12 coats of nitro is about the same as 4 coats of urethane.

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Even if it is thick, so what. I'm not convinced the thickness of the finish on a solid body electric guitar makes a difference.

11. paintguy

Depends what you consider thick:D

I think PRS finishes are top notch, but the few I have sanded/stripped were quite a bit thicker than they appear. Nowhere near as thick as the Asian imports, but still pretty thick...

The Asian imports are in a class by themselves when it comes to thick. We are talking 1/4-1/2 inch thick coatings:NUTS:crazy

12. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

Go play a 245 and listen to it.....and I don't think you'll care what the finish is. They sound fantastic.

13. paintguy

Amen!

Btw, my old Prs Singlecut with the thicker finish had way more sustain than either of my current 2 Historic Les Pauls with the thin nitro finish. Fwiw...

14. Colt

Colt Member

Before I go any further...I think Paul Reed Smith makes GREAT guitars, and are top notch.

hahaha, wow. I will still play one, might still get one.......like I JUST SAID, I giged a McCarty for five years...as my only electric. I do like them, I just prefer nitro. It's not so much a sound thing, I just like the way nitro "breaks in"....gets worn in places....and will age with me.

and on the bottom of my McCarty I had an accident and chipped off some finish..in my opinion, it was thick.