1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Scalar's - Strings = Snake Oil's ????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sdlogan9, Oct 16, 2005.

1. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Gold Supporting Member

Im looking for the history behind these awsome strings....
    Can sum one inform me of whats behind these. I have heard that they were in business in the past and re-opend?

Shane

2. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

I dont think Icould ever pay more than 5-6 bucks a pack for strings. Less than 4 for Boomers at Wal Mart these days. I just burn thru them too fast.

3. turtleheadblues

My own personal thoughts on the subject of high end strings. Is that not allowed?

4. markp

markp Member

Well I had A set of SOS on my number 1 for 13 months that seems better than two weeks for a set of 4 dollar strings?

5. turtleheadblues

That would be awesome!! How often do you gig?

6. turtleheadblues

Ok cool. I guess the post was worded a little oddly.

7. markp

markp Member

At the time I wasnt giging but I was playing alot more than if I was.I the fiurst 6 months that was the only guitar I played and I kept track of the hours I was putting on the strings up untill 200hrs then I lost track.

Giging or not the cheap bad sounding strings I used only sounded pretty good for about a week and I woulk try to get 2 weeks out of them.

8. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

It's true. These strings last a LONG time. I read about them last year and figured I'd take a chance and order a few sets. I was using DR before and they'd last a month or so before I replaced them. I'm only on my third set of Snake Oil's right now and have never broken one. Oh, they sound great too. :)

9. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for trying to keep my post on track....
    I gess I didn't make my self clear??:confused:
    hopefuly PinkStrat " Dean " will see this and Chime in...

What is the history... That is my main question here...
    Are they the same string as Scalars were...

Shane

10. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Dean knows a lot about strings. To my knowledge, he didn't just pick up the old forumula for the strings and start putting them out again. I think he took it further and made them even better. As far as history...i dunno! I just know that Brew was one of the first to have the new Snake Oil's and I followed a little later. I'm happy with em. I've used them since April of 2004 and I've been through maybe 4 sets, it would've been 3 but I had to get a saddle replaced on my number 1 so I went with a new set.

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

Scalars are a totally different animal than the SOSs...I recently got a hold of a NOS set of the Scalars to compare to the ON SOS and while the Scalars were nice I much preferred the tone and feel of the SOSs...

Chow,
    Seegs

12. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

man i still need to try some of these SOS's....

13. PinkStrat

PinkStrat Member

Shane,

Sorry it took so long to see your question. The Scalars and Snake Oils have the same family lineage, however, the Snake Oils are much improved from the original Scalars IMHO. There is some new twists that we've added to the old Scalar formula(s) to make them more durable and sound better than they did before. Ouite frankly, in the beginning (when I was prototyping string sets once again) I thought that the Scalars would be very difficult to beat. But apparently the original diehard Scalar fans/users unaminously felt that the Snake Oils were most definitely better!

In my own opinion I have to agree with all these folks. While it's true that I know my strings quite well (after 21 years of making them) there are many new aspects to string designing that I've learned over the past few years-- so it's simply a natural evolution (if you will). They still last nearly forever and hold their tone too so I am once again very satisfied with our work in this field. Oh, there are some things coming up in the very near future that may very well be the craziest strings I've ever developed...stay tuned! :)

14. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I've been using Snake Oils since the spring of '04. I spend less on strings now than I did before then. With the typical, run of the mill strings (ANY brand), I get about 4 weeks before they sound like poo. My record with Snake Oil brand is now 7 months. They do sound better as well. I order them in quantities so that I won't run out should I break one, but I haven't broken one yet. My downfall is that I keep giving away my spare sets to friends so they can try them.:jo

15. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I've gotten way more mileage out of my Snake Oils than out of any other strings I've used... FWIW.

16. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Forgive my ignorance, but how can I get a set? Even Google comes up blank.

17. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

I would buy SOS just for the tone & feel. The longevity is a bonus & I guess the main selling point, but the strings just FEEL right. Email Dean (Pink Strat) at leomuser@aol.com & enjoy.

Randall

18. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

Dean's strings do last a long time and I've yet to break one.

depends on the guitar, I like both the Vintage and RF flavors :)

19. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Here's the website:
    http://www.sobstrings.net/

Fantastic strings! I use the original nickel sets, on guitars with tremolo I use the LH set, hardtail I use the JTMB set.

Big, girthy, meaty and punchy tone but with a very pretty sheen on the high end.

20. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Just ordered a sampler order... including some of the new acoustic strings. Can't wait :)