Scale length conundrum

Would you buy a Gibson style guitar with a Fender scale length neck?

• Boy would I!

Votes: 49 66.2%
  • Take yer new-fangled notions to somebody else’s house of pain!

Votes: 25 33.8%

• Total voters

tktk

The 25.5" all the way, and I don't have huge hands. The thing is I don't want to use heavier gauge strings for tonal reasons to compensate the rubbery feel of the 24.75", especially with standard tuning, unless I play jazz in total clean. The 24.75" has its own merits but when I would dig in the low-E string, the 25.5" definitely articulates better and works better with down tunings as well.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
I have currently guitars with scales ranging from 24” to 25.5”. I had a Duo-Sonic briefly with a 22.5” scale. I haven’t found scale to be all that important, for myself.

That said, my interest would be piqued by something like an ES-335 with a 25.5” scale. Not saying I’d necessarily buy it, but would love to try it.

Gibson Trini Lopez

Bill Lumberg

I Drink and I Know Things.
Gold Supporting Member
I guess I've played PRS Guitars' 25" scale for so many years now (I got my 1st CU24 in 1992) that a Les Paul doesn't feel very short or a Tele much longer.

Baritones are what really throw me off.

Bluplirst

Silver Supporting Member
I did:

TpuxNjl.png

Den

Gold Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
My Gibson Custom Shop Johnny A is exactly what you describe ... and it's a match made in heaven! Great clean, overdriven and jazz tones, clarity, spank, and plays like butter.

3of5

I would buy a Gibson style guitar with a Fender scale length, as long as it was the Fender Mustang 24" scale length.

Last edited:

mrpinter

Gold Supporting Member
I would have worded it more diplomatically, but I voted #2. I went the other direction with this 24.75" scale length S type guitar, and I've been loving it for many years. It has a set of .009s on it, by the way.
oCxcqMd.jpg

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
CS reissues are in 24.75". Are originals in 25.5"?

oof! sorry.
early custom deluxes, yeah --- the Barney Kessell-ish dbl-cut model ---though i have a buddy who has the typical, cherry standard Trini in 25.5" (from later 1960's).

Ron Kirn

Vendor
it's not even a minor issue for a builder, and if you're doing a home brew.. then ya need to order the body woth the bridge holes positioned for the longer scale.. or order the body without and drill 'em yourself..

As far as if it's good or bad, tell anyone that disagrees with your choice to get lost.. the only rationalization ya need is, "I just plain wanted it, so bugger off." but ya should know how to play.. if ya can't everyone's gonna flame yer butt till it's raw..

TobyB

I play 330 mm mandolin, fiddle, tenor, banjo, guitar, baritone, all the way to 864 mm bass; 3,4,5,6 & 8 strings.
Just like hire cars ... it takes a few moments to acclimatise ... but the subtleties of Rick, Gibson, PRS, Fender are lost on someone with my limited skills ...

shoule79

I chose option 2 because I really don't care. I have Fenders with 24" and 25.5", then a couple of Gibson's peppered in at 24.75". I don't have a preference either way.

I got something pretty much exactly like you’re speaking of.

It’s fairly rare to find for some reason. I have big hands and play hard and like Fender scale length and string spacing but I love LP’s with P90’s.

It’s a Nash T-56. It’s basically a 56 LP with the long scale and string spacing.

The body and neck are mahogany and they even put a maple cap on the body just like a LP, trapezoid Gibson style FB inlays, Lollar P90’s and mine weighs 6lb 6oz. I love it and am well over the honeymoon period.

As I just visited their site, I see it Looks like they’re going to release a 59 LP version with a pair of HB’s and a flamed top. Like I said, for whatever reason, they are super hard to find. Lots of Google hits for more info.

Check it out: (scroll all the way down of the T style model list to find them)

Nash Guitars T56

Just so you are aware, the L-5, Super 400, and Citation all have 25 1/2" scale standard and have more decades.
Gibson Johnny Smith models are also long scale…. Came out in 1963 and was Gibson trying to re-engineer Johnny’s D’Angelico New Yorker model which was long scale.

Reactions: C-4

TooMuchFiber

Silver Supporting Member
Sure, I would be interested in how it sounds and feels, and my current guitar count is still under 100!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom