• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Scales?? Pretty much useless for improvising well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Tag,

Seriously - check this out. Jazz. Swinging like nobody's biz.

This is modern straight ahead - this is *not* fusion. And this is decidedly *not* intermediate.

Thats better, but still. :messedup Where is the feel, where is the emotional content?

BuddyGuit

Silver Supporting Member
Two things. I remember once seeing George (before we made records and toured with him) At one point he sat on a stool during a concert (CTI all stars) and played some blistering lines then he leaned into the mike and said "this is bebop ...... I sure wish it'd come back". Then he went back into his regular set.

Another time at dinner (when we were touring with him) he said "I don't play music anymore ...... I play money."

Regardless I think George is a KILLER player. Although he would play solos almost note for note during the gig, his band would do very long sound checks playing tunes like Moments Notice. Burning I might add.

Nothing to do with scales yes/no debate but ...hey ......ya know ..

Tag

what do you think benson would say?
those guys have professional courtesy, which is something you don't seem to be able to understand...
i mean seriously...
I know what Benson would be THINKING. :dude:dude:dude And he sure said it when he was younger. :beer

Where was the professional courtesy with Metheny and Kenny G?? Is that different?

Tag

Regardless I think George is a KILLER player. Although he would play solos almost note for note during the gig,.
Come on man. I have seem benson on consecutive nights, and unless its a pop hook or something, the man does NOT play the same solos. LOL!! He once said he had to relearn his solo to On Broadway because people wanted to hear it. He learned it by listening to it....once. :dude

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Come on man. I have seem benson on consecutive nights, and unless its a pop hook or something, the man does NOT play the same solos. LOL!! He once said he had to relearn his solo to On Broadway because people wanted to hear it. He learned it by listening to it....once. :dude
You'd love Henry Johnson's playing (since you like GB so much).

Jazz2Punk

This thread can go another 1000 posts and it still won't change the fact that every established player in this thread has made a compelling case as to why scales are not useless.

That's good enough for me! :dude:dude:dude

:beer

BuddyGuit

Silver Supporting Member
I was there night after night. I'm talking about the solos on his hits. He did say he had to relearn them.

DrSax

The vocab is a little dated, i agree, but so is parker, louis armstrong, clifford brown, etc etc. The killer thing for me, with all those guys, is the feel. It's burning.
I'm just wondering why it is only jazz that gets this kind of response?

Blues players will never get "that vocab is dated" by blues fans (it might from other folk, sure).

Folk players would never get "those 3 chords are so overdone" by folk fans.

Classical players....

well, you get the idea.

It's only "jazz" where if you play be-bop lines you are judged for that antiquated vocab. The "museum" piece is something really only jazz gets bogged down in. At least, way more vociferously than other genres.

Is it fair? Does jazz necessarily have to be re-inventing stuff all the time?

BuddyGuit

Silver Supporting Member
I'm just wondering why it is only jazz that gets this kind of response?

Blues players will never get "that vocab is dated" by blues fans (it might from other folk, sure).

Is it fair? Does jazz necessarily have to be re-inventing stuff all the time?

I think some blues players get flack here on TGP for playing lines that are NOT traditional things you here in blues. I think ....... at least I think I think that .... I think ..

DrSax

I think some blues players get flack here on TGP for playing lines that are NOT traditional things you here in blues. I think ....... at least I think I think that .... I think ..
well, that's like the reverse, right? not being antiquated. or something. :messedup

Tag

You'd love Henry Johnson's playing (since you like GB so much).
Yep! Plays from the gut! :dude

The "dated" thing makes me laugh. Luc plays a lot of SWING era type of lines, some right from Django, yet sounds fresh as a daisey! :dude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom