Scalloped fretboard users? McLaughlin, Roth etc...

tribalfusion

Hi there,

Does anybody know of any other scalloped fretboard users? I know of Uli Roth, Yngwie, Blackmore, Vai, McLaughlin and some other shred guys like Joe Stump, and James Byrd (usually guys who like Blackmore & Yngwie).

I was especially curious to see who was the first to do this and how much the depth has varied in the carving.

Anyone know of players doing this in fusion or other genres besides Mac back in the day?

Thanks!

Kappy

Matte (who doesn't seem to post much here anymore) has a few really choice guitars with scalloped fingerboards, one of which is the most luscious acoustic guitar I've ever seen! I wouldn't know what to call his style though....it's sort of a Robo-Fusion. :D

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Think Roth's Sky guitar is just scalloped on the upper frets like Vai and Sheehan, no?
Blackmore's always scalloped, though not as deep as Malmsteen or (esp.) McLaughlin's brief scalloped period...
I played the YJM Strats at NAMM a coupe of years back - the maple neck version was one of the finest guitars I've tried, the rosewood model less so... Shame the Ritchie sig is now discontinued...

SMark

Another guitarist who used to scallop his Strat necks back in the day is Roger Fisher of Heart. This would have been about the mid-70s and not likely before Ritchie did it. But you can add him to the list regardless...

xntrick

Toni Iommi surprisingly, he was playing such a neck in his tutorial video..not sure of the depth or how long he's had such a set up...

PFCG

i have tweaked all of Joe Stumps main axes for the stage, as well as some in the private shredmasters collection. He has quite a nice room full of strats at his house that never leave unless for recording. As well as some cool Vs and old skool shred guitars

Some guitars have shallower scallops than others, but his main ESP stage guitars are scooped pretty good.

Just put new prototype Dimarzios in a Hendrix strat for him with a scalloped board, and it was actually pretty shallow which i liked.

His white ESP strat with the rosewood board and black pg has a graduated Blackmoore style scallop where its not so deep on the bass side and down towards the nut, and gets deeper as you go up the board and towards the higher strings.

The Blackmoore style is more my speed but i would probably not start scalloping until the 6th fret

dark_rainbow

The 1st time I recall was McLaughlin after he had played with sitarist Ravi Shankar. He swore he'd never go back and play a normal one. Changed his mind however.

If Iomi did too, wouldn't be surprised as I had read he lost the tips of his fretting fingers in an accident which made it painful to play, especially bend. Perhaps scalloped was an attempt to make it easier on him.

stratovarius

If Iomi did too, wouldn't be surprised as I had read he lost the tips of his fretting fingers in an accident which made it painful to play, especially bend. Perhaps scalloped was an attempt to make it easier on him.
I lost the two middle fingers at the first joint, and this is pretty much the reason I use a scalloped board. It isn't just the pain though - I find it to be much easier to get ahold of the strings when using my "stubs".

xntrick

i have tweaked all of Joe Stumps main axes for the stage, as well as some in the private shredmasters collection. He has quite a nice room full of strats at his house that never leave unless for recording. As well as some cool Vs and old skool shred guitars

Some guitars have shallower scallops than others, but his main ESP stage guitars are scooped pretty good.

Just put new prototype Dimarzios in a Hendrix strat for him with a scalloped board, and it was actually pretty shallow which i liked.

His white ESP strat with the rosewood board and black pg has a graduated Blackmoore style scallop where its not so deep on the bass side and down towards the nut, and gets deeper as you go up the board and towards the higher strings.

The Blackmoore style is more my speed but i would probably not start scalloping until the 6th fret

does Joe have his strats wired the same as YJM?

gpro34

Hi there,

Does anybody know of any other scalloped fretboard users? I know of Uli Roth, Yngwie, Blackmore, Vai, McLaughlin and some other shred guys like Joe Stump, and James Byrd (usually guys who like Blackmore & Yngwie).

I was especially curious to see who was the first to do this and how much the depth has varied in the carving.

Anyone know of players doing this in fusion or other genres besides Mac back in the day?

Thanks!
Scallop Cutting depth for Malmsteen is generally 3mm. He has gone deeper, but I wouldn't recommend it. If he f's up a strat he has 300 more available. You on the other hand...
Also check out Alex Van Snivensen. He has a different take. He has every other fret scalloped. Now that is weird, but he's a freak of nature on the guitar.

Trending Topics