1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Scalloped , What is the difference between Yngwie's and Richie's Scalloped necks?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scottpic, May 23, 2011.

1. scottpic

scottpic Member

I see that they say Richie's neck is partially scalloped. But what is that exactly?

2. SGNick

SGNick Member

Usually means that the scalloping is only from frets 12 and up

3. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

I think Richi's guitar was scalloped on the high strings getting shallower towards the lower strings.

4. SMark

SMark Member

Ritchie's "half scallop" actually refers to the area between the frets. It only refers to the lower frets because you can't and also wouldn't need to do it on the upper frets. But the first half is level for fingering chords and the latter half is scalloped for fingering leads/solos. Yngwie's scallop is the pretty much the same all the way up and allows you to play anywhere and not feel the fingerboard under the strings at all.

My website... Featuring The Scalloped Strat Blog...
    http://marksmitchell.home.mindspring.com/

5. SMark

SMark Member

This is one version of the Blackmore scallop...

[​IMG]

And here's one version of the Malmsteen scallop...

[​IMG]

6. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member

this actually didn't do it for me...
    haven't tried a ritchie one yet though...

7. rbnum1fan

rbnum1fan Senior Member

I LOVE the scalloping on my Blackmore Strat. It's very gradual,and makes getting Ritchie's wide vibrato a breeze

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SMark

SMark Member

Those are great pics of the Blackmore scallop.

I've had both and eventually I've just gotten used to the Malmsteen scallop and now prefer it that way. Most of my scalloped necks are made by Warmoth, and the only style they will do is the Malmsteen style. I find scalloped necks a blast to play. If you can develop the light touch necessary to play in tune, the added control it gives you makes for a whole lot of fun IMO.

9. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

I agree! I currently own 12 Strats and of those 8 have scalloped boards. I've yet to try a Blackmore type scallop, but may do so in the future. They do take a bit to get used to though, but once you do, they feel great!

10. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I don't really find that much of a difference between the "wave" looking version and the simpler Malmsteen one in feel or functionality. I've seen quite a few guitars with just the upper frets scalloped, however. That's interesting but takes some getting used to.

11. straycat113

straycat113 Member

Before you do anything try and borrow a friends guitar that is scalloped or go sit in a GC for a few days and play one for a few hours every couple of days as they are not for everyone. Though if you like it you will probably never want to play anything else.

12. Sandy Cheeks

Sandy Cheeks Senior Member

Of course, you can go all Shakti/John McLaughlin and scallop an acoustic guitar as well.

13. YMTguitar@sympa

YMTguitar@sympa Member

Does anyone have any experience with Dean Cascione and/or DC Custom Guitars? dccustomguitars.com They offer scalloping in the Malmsteen style and Blackmore style and their work looks great. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. And the prices seem resonable too.

14. scottpic

scottpic Member

This was EXACTLY the information I was asking about. Here you can see the scallop is a WAVE and looks to be the whole length of the neck.
    Now are these RB Strats MIM guitars???

15. rbnum1fan

rbnum1fan Senior Member

Mine is a 1997 MIJ model. I find the craftmanship to be superior to the current MIM production. To be specific i feel everything from tuners,frets,pots,pickups,neck scallop,body finish and the feel of the neck to be superior to the current models

16. SMark

SMark Member

Mine was also a CIJ 1997 model. I have not played the MIM model yet.

17. paulscape

paulscape Member

The later YJM models have heaps deep scalloping. I think its actually too deep. His earlier models are much easier to play. The blackmore is awesome and much easier to play.