• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Scammer Alert WTB ADs

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member
Fellow members.

We are seeing a big jump in scammers going after wtb adds.

usually they have zero post count
Pm you that their ‘friend’ has whatever item for sale, and to email them.
‘Thank them later’ and have you email ‘Richard’ something other

usually at that point they’re asking for bitcoin or etc for payment.

TGP staff is doing all possible to block these issues, but be smart and do your homework. Don’t send bitcoin, cover yourself. TGP is not liable for any transactions.

I recommend using PayPal from your Credit Card, talk on the phone to make a real judgement, and make sure your covered.

please report any PM messages like the above.

Last edited:

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a good way to approach this:

Demand a picture of the item, with a piece of paper having the your (i.e. potential buyer's) screen name also in the picture. So you, the prospective buyer, will see, in the picture, both the item and your screen (or other) name.

That'd be pretty hard to fake.

dirtyguitar

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a good way to approach this:

Demand a picture of the item, with a piece of paper having the your (i.e. potential buyer's) screen name also in the picture. So you, the prospective buyer, will see, in the picture, both the item and your screen (or other) name.

That'd be pretty hard to fake.
Or... you could just send me some money. That way no one gets ripped off and hey, I like money. No BS, no wasted time just send me money. I’ll probably buy something here with it anyway.

:p:p:p

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
Or... you could just send me some money. That way no one gets ripped off and hey, I like money. No BS, no wasted time just send me money. I’ll probably buy something here with it anyway.

:p:p:p
Put it right back into the pedal economy. I like the way you think. Let's all start sending each other money. You all can get started. Let me know when it's my turn.

kingink

Platinum Supporting Member
This happens all the time when I post gear to Craig's List. I get these weird texts and/or emails that have the whiff of scam.

jackcarter

Best thing is to ask for a photo of the item with the previous days newspaper heading
showing the date

66fuzz

Silver Supporting Member
Need to be a member with a positive feedback/rating of at least one, and a minimum message count until they could reach out via PM?

Trending Topics