Schaller straplock knob fell off. Now the strap is locked to the guitar.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 777, Sep 7, 2008.

1. 777

777 Member

The little pull knob that allows you to remove the straplock fell off. The screw that it is attached to then receded deep into the straplock where I can't get ahold of it with the knob any longer. I tried needle nose pliers, but it's a very small hole that the screw receded into.

I'm sure that must have happened to someone before & there's a solution out there.

Thanks

Brad

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Unscrew the little knob from the other end of the strap (once the strap is off the guitar), and thread it on to the shaft of the missing one. Hopefully you haven't destroyed the shaft with the needle nosed pliers.

3. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

I recently had a Schaller strap lock fail in the middle of a gig right on stage. My LP fell to floor with a crash and heard audible gaspes from the crowd... one was mine! It broke off two tuning pegs, but did not do any further damage to the guitar. I was able to get my foot under it. I can confirm that an unchambered LP is a toe crusher for sure!

4. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

What exactly failed? Did you use the smaller/narrower Schaller equipped screw in the LP body? And did the screw pull out, or was it an actual mechanical failure?

5. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I would also like to know and also, were these Schaller brand or one of the cheaper copies? I have used Schallers for probably 20 years and have never had one fail.

6. 777

777 Member

As for mine, it didn't fail. The pull-knob the releases the strap lock from the guitar unscrewed. Conseqeuntly I couldn't get the strap off the guitar! That knob is screwed onto a spring-loaded screw & when that knob becomes unscrewed, it disappears deep into the straplock body. You can't just screw the knob back on, because now the screw is so recessed that it is hidden.

7. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

It was a fluke. The part that attaches to the strap (the U shaped catch) worked it's way around until it was on it's side and almost upside down. Therefore the only thing holding my 10lbs LP was the little post instead of the U shaped piece. The little pin simply gave way and "Bam!"

You could say there was some user error involved as I should have checked to see that they were tightened properly. :huh I don't even use em' now.

8. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

First you blame Schaller then you admit user error.:jo

9. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

Actually, I would have never thought the U catch would actually turn or work loose. But I learned a lesson the hard way.

10. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

Which is exactly why I use the Dunlop strap locks.. no directional.. never had one fail, and they are a breeze to take off and on.. That "U" thing never really worked for me... Which isn't helpful to your current situation :huh but perhaps you could drill out the pin that is recessed, then use a screwdriver to unscrew the post from the guitar?

11. Marcel

Marcel Member

Still using my 15 + years old Schallers strap-locks and -even if I wanted to -they never failed me...so what :dunno ?

12. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I've never had the straplock fail to the extent of it causing a guitar to drop.

But there has been one instance where the straplock assembly fell apart. Just like the OP, that small little knob on which you pull to release the straplock came loose. This caused everything to come apart.

That knob is threaded like a nut to the shaft which is kind of like s screw.

Well it's not a perfect design, I could foresee the knob coming loose again judging from how the straplock swings subtlety with the guitar in use.

Now everything when I play I give it a couple of turns to ensure it's in place.

13. candid_x

I use a drop of green loc-tite on the threads, which being chromed, are obviously slippery and can come undone. I also do routine checks when I change strings, making sure everything is tight.

Ernie Ball has also just come out with their own straplocks, too. Haven't tried them but they look solid.

14. Marcel

Marcel Member

It fell apart the very first time when I assembled the part that's on my belt, too. I had the nut turned only finger-tight...not good!
    One's you tighten it with a wrench it never comes loose again.

15. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I still don't get it. Can you post some pics of what you are talking about?

16. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I believe 777 means that the small chrome knob, not the hexagonal nut that clamps the strap, has become unthreaded and falled off. So he can no longer retract the small black steel pin that pops into the socket on the endpin that is scewed to the guitar.

17. candid_x

I didn't even know they can come unscrewed. Mine free swivel in either direction. Can anyone verify for sure if they can unscrew off, or did 777's actually snap off?

18. Marcel

Marcel Member

I'm trying to turn the pull-knob off now for 15 minutes: no matter what I do -turning it left or right -it can't be turned off!!

So what the hell did you do for it to come off???

19. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I HATE to be "that guy" Gibby, but this is definitely NOT the straplock "failing".

It sucks that you had to learn your lesson the hard way. Make sure you regularly inspect them from now on!!!

20. candid_x

Careful you don't hurt yourself! :banana