Schecter Artist Signature quality vs Ibanez?

speedyone

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all,

Does anyone here have experience owning/playing BOTH Schecter artist sig models (or top tier price models) AND Ibanez Prestige guitars?

I’m debating between getting a new Ibanez Prestige or a Schecter Dmitri Miles Baker sig model.

My wavering comes down to the fact that:

1. I’ve never played a high end Schecter
2. The ONE brand new Prestige I bought had a trem that wouldn’t stay in tune well using 008 gauge strings.

Did I get a “lemon” Prestige the first time around? I don’t know!

The Schecter has all the features I want, but I don’t know if the quality is gonna be subpar to the Prestige.

To be honest, I didn’t feel like the RG752AHM I had was any more superior than a Carvin or Soloway or Jackson I owned before.

If anyone has any opinions, I’d like to hear them.

Thanks guys!

mlowie

I own an RG 652 prestige and recently bought the schecter km6 mkii Keith Merrow signature. The fit and finish on both guitars is top notch. The prestige fret work is surely better but the schecter is not far behind. I have them both strung with 10s and have no tuning or stability issues. I would be surprised that a prestige would have a tuning issue as they really pay attention to the little details. Dmarzio pickups and gotoh locking tuners were standard equipment on the Ibanez along with a hard shell case. The schecter has an amazing feature set for the cost. Ebony finger board, ss frets, fishman active pick ups, 5 piece neck with carbon fiber rods, locking tuners (no case nor gig bag).
Biggest difference is neck shape. Ibanez is a 16/17? with the wizard profile vs the schecter that has a 12-16 compound radius with a thicker neck (flat d shape?). Both are comfortable and easy to play.
If you can, buy one (or both) from a shop with a generous return policy so you can try them both and return the one that doesn’t light your fire. Good luck.

speedyone

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, trying one or both out using the return policy is a good idea.

I too was REALLY taken aback by the Prestige I had going out of tune. It was setup by a pro (Rich at IbanezRules,) and I think the issue was that I was using 008 gauge strings.... maybe such thin strings are an issue even for a locking trem!

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply!

:)

Machew

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all,

Does anyone here have experience owning/playing BOTH Schecter artist sig models (or top tier price models) AND Ibanez Prestige guitars?

I’m debating between getting a new Ibanez Prestige or a Schecter Dmitri Miles Baker sig model.

2. The ONE brand new Prestige I bought had a trem that wouldn’t stay in tune well using 008 gauge strings.

The Schecter has all the features I want, but I don’t know if the quality is gonna be subpar to the Prestige.

To be honest, I didn’t feel like the RG752AHM I had was any more superior than a Carvin or Soloway or Jackson I owned before.

Thanks guys!
I as well have a RG752 in white and it never goes out of tune. I dont have any experience with the the Schecter, i guess i would look at the neck and the pups. Ibanez is a very thin and flat neck.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Yes, trying one or both out using the return policy is a good idea.

I too was REALLY taken aback by the Prestige I had going out of tune. It was setup by a pro (Rich at IbanezRules,) and I think the issue was that I was using 008 gauge strings.... maybe such thin strings are an issue even for a locking trem!

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply!

:)
Well something was amiss. When everything is in order it should be very stable regardless of the gauge strings though admittedly Ive never used .008's. I have used 9-42 for 40+ years though. Curious-what model, what bridge? My Edge Pro and my Edge Pro II both developed loose trem blocks! Not good for stability! Since then Ive made it a habit to check this and all other parts when I change the strings. Block, saddles, locking nut screws that hold it to the neck, neck screws etc. Even my Rg370DX with a Lo TRS II stays in tune very well.

jvin248

Are you likely to sell either guitar later? Some keep guitars for life, others say they will but end up parting ways after a time. If you happen to be the later then I'd avoid a signature model. You'd need to find a fan of the brand, the model, and the artist. Generally there are lots of buyers for the brand, less for the model, and dedicated few to the artist.

Guitar builders love to have a signature model because they have something new to talk up with the dealers/retailers. Retailers like to talk up a new story for players visiting the shop. But later when you're trying to sell, it becomes a challenge. I've been there.

Not owning either of those guitars, I'd go with the Ibanez.

jwguitar

Hi all,

Thanks guys!
From my experience both guitar companies have wonderful quality control and make great guitars. I find a place that has these guitars in stock and would see which one fits you the best. As far as getting a Lemon for the Prestige it is possible. The Fujigen factory seems to make excellent quality guitars.

Trending Topics