Schecter C-1: genuine tonepro bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JWK, Oct 29, 2005.

1. JWK

JWK Member

Hey all, I've been trying out these Schecter C-1 Elite guitars at a number of stores and I can't shake these stupid things.Check out the reviews @ HC. There are about 100 reviews and they're almost all teenage metal heads except for a few. One supposed seasoned pro was impressed, bought it and returned it after a few weeks. Said it just sounded cheap, bad wood, etc. Who knows? I don't.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to address the tonepros bridge as advertised on Schecter's website. Some of the reviewers stated this was a cheap knockoff and needed to be replaced with a *real* tonepros bridge. WTF??!! Then I thought of all the "Floyd Rose" guitars out there. Oh, yeah. "Licensed" Floyd Rose. So is this the same with the Schecters? Anyone have any idea how I can find out?

This could be the deal breaker that can get me to forget about this guitar. I know I will have to replace the pickups and the pots, switches, jack. However, if I also have to buy a new tonepros bridge, forget it. I'll have to spend somewhere between $550 and $600 for this guitar. Factor in all the replacement parts and it's just way too much money for a cheap Korean guitar with lot of abalone.

Too bad, this guitar fits me better than almost anything I've played in a long time. It's light, too. But it's still a cheap guitar. There is also the fact that I cannot order one online. I have played five of these so far in different places. The difference in sound and weight is extreme between guitars. Like MIM Fenders, you really have to pick one yourself. Your chances of just ordering and getting a dog are very high IMO.

So, how can I find out about the bridge? Sorry for the ramble.

2. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I owned a C-1 Elite. It (the bridge) had a Tone Pros stamp on the bottom of it. The guitar also had Grover tuners, and when I replaced the pickups I found it had all CTS pots stock. So I don't see why you would even need to replace the pots unless you happened to get one with a bad set or just don't like CTS.

The pickups I put in were PRS #7's, just going for a different sound. but many of the different models come with SD JB and 59's stock, too.

Those guitars are designed really great. They're just really comfortable to play and that neck joint is so smooth its really hard to beat at any price.

H2H

3. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

Schecter uses Genuine TonePros Bridges and Tailpieces.

4. JWK

JWK Member

Thanks, guys. That's certainly a big plus. OTOH, I'm a little irritated that my agonizing will continue.

H2H, you said you owned one. How long did you have it and why did you get rid of it? After playing it for awhile, what were your overall impressions of it compared to other guitars that you like? I agree that it is a *very* well designed instrument. If it had three control pots it would be so much better (for me). I could do without the over-done abalone. I set my sights on the C-1+ only to find it is a 24.75" scale. It just didn't work for me on that type of guitar for some reason, but I really preferred the cosmetics and the three control pots.

I'm probably trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

5. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I bought & owned a C-1 Elite for about a month after having the same experience as you - Seen & played a few in some GCs and was impressed with the feel & weight, but after taking it home and playing it at full volume at some rehearsals I realized it wasn't for me...

For me the tone was too thin & sterile, and no I wasn't the guy that said "Said it just sounded cheap, bad wood, etc.", although in the end I agree with that conclusion.

As I stated in another thread I think the deception in the advertising for the C-1 line is that they're made of mahogany - I would put money on a bet that these guitars were made of Nato or Agathis.

Having played Gibsons since 76 I immediately recognize REAL mahogany, and that ain't it.

As far as the Grover tuners & TonePro bridge, I do know that Grovers are made in Korea for import guitars, although I don't have enough experience with them to say if they're different than USA made Grovers ;)

6. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

The majority of the tonepro bridges are actually made by Gotoh, ($20 app for standard) I understand some are German and I would suspect Schaller... mine actually says Gotoh on the bottom.

I have found no improvement in tone, or sustain at all over a standard non locking bridge.

The locking function would benefit someone who wanted to retain their setup, or didn't want the bridge to come off when changing strings.

The hype regarding better contact is nice in theory IMHO, but not the case. If in fact it was, then there would be a significant difference in the sound when the 2 hex screws were loosened... NOT!!

I callzem as I seezem

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

7. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

ALL TonePros products are made by the EXACT same company that makes the hardware for Gibson, only made to TonePros specs.

8. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Ok, the tonepro I purchased from WD a few years ago says Gotoh on the bottom.

HJ

9. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

It's a well-known factoid that TonePros mods Gotoh hardware for their products...

All of my TonePros stuff (LP & PRS bridges) are in fact stamped Gotoh on the bottom.

I agree with the previous statement that, in my experience, the only plus TonePros offer for LPs is that the bridges stay in place when re-stringing, but in the case of PRS wrap-around bridges they not only offer exact intonation, they add sustain and a different tone...my two PRS SCs sound MUCH more LPish with TonePro bridges ;)

10. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

Gotoh is the maker, however ALL the new TonePros come from a different mold that say "TonePros" not "Gotoh".

11. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I sold it mostly because I'm not a fan of 24 fret necks or longer scale. I'm not a lead player at all, so guitars like this just aren't my style. I love SGs, they're my favorite.

The C1 was really easy to play and with the #7's in it it wounded really good for modern pop rock music. I could play really fast on it, although I normally never play fast at all, that guitar just lent itself to that playing.

At the time I had several guitars and was just trying things out and another SG won out for me over it. Just preference. Some may say the wood isn't "gibson quality" but I got the guitar for like $350 or something. I think Schecters are by very far the best value out there.

H2H

12. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

I made my own 'tonepro' bridge.
    My Jerry Horton model (that I'm currently trying to sell) was made before tonepro bridges were being put on these guitars. We drilled a small hole in the bridge, tapped it, and put a couple of little allen screws in the holes.
    It cost about 5 dollars in parts IIRC since we had to buy the tap.
    BTW, if it's not mahogany on mine, It sure looks like it(I refinished the front on mine). I can't tell.