Schecter or Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lttoler, Dec 13, 2005.

1. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

I currently play a PRS custom 24, but I'm looking in to getting a cheaper brand guitar that plays good because I dont wanna risk messing up my PRS. I have looked at a Schecter C1, and Ibanez S series and some similar ESP's. Im looking for something that I can put EMG's in. Any opinions?

2. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I like the Ibanez RG's myself. I own a 3220 prestige. I haven't played the schecters enough to form an opinion, but the Ibanez feels like "home." The schecters I did play several years ago were pretty nice though. I am interested in a schecter 7 string myself for something different.

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

They are pretty much the same thing, especially if you get the newest ones GC carries. These look like strats with a raised top. Schecters are probably either made by Cort or Samick, most everything from Korea is one of those two builders. Schecter used to be one of the first custom shop guitar producers and Tom Anderson came from Schecter. I think custom shop days are over but I'm not sure, anyone know?

I had one of the Mahogany Ibanez guitars and only sold it because I bought a R7 Gibson. The guitar played great and I had no problems with it at all. You could probably buy a used one off Ebay for about $300. Good Luck

4. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I do not own - but have played on several Ibanez S-series guitars. I think they are very cool guitars - the thin body and slender neck - one of the nicest Strat-style designs. There are used ones with quilt and flame tops and deluxe appointments. I would get one, but I am covered in the Strat-like department, and I don't wanna make my Jacksons jealous.

Let us know what you get! :cool:

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Don't forget Tokai! Slightly pricier than the Schecter C1s but visually a little closer to a PRS. Although there are Schecter C1s that come stock with EMGs. I almost pulled the trigger on one myself.

6. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

First, I think the Ibanezes in general have a much thinner neck than the Schecters. Not sure what the neck profile is for the 24 but the schecter neck is much closer to my PRS SE than the Ibanez is.

Second, I am a huge fan of the Ibanez S bodies but it seems in the last few years if it isn't a prestige model the fret dressing quality is hit and miss. The Schecters I've sen are still high up there on the list of consistantly good fit and finish.

None of this is meant to disparage Ibanez. I still really like the brand, but I think transitioning from an Ibanez to other guitars is more noticable and in the price range Schecter hovers in they are hard to beat quality wise.

7. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

There's only one option if you want the 25" scale, the Ibanez SZ models. I have the SZ720 and the SZ2020. They're both great guitars. The 720 will need a pickup swap, but has elaborate inlay and nice binding. A less gawdy looking version is the SZ520. The 2020 comes with Duncan pickups and top of the line hardware, but costs twice as much as the 520, which is $500. The necks on the SZ series are chunky; bigger than my rounded 50's LP neck at the 1st fret, but slightly smaller at the 12th.

8. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I tried out some new Schecters a few days ago. Actually they are pretty nice for the loot. I was digging the semi hollow Soloist-looking one one with the piezo Nashville bridge, real nice axe. Could use better pickups and electronics, though.

I have a Mike Mushok Ibanez, similar to the S series, and again it is a pretty decent guitar except for the electronics.

9. bullet69

bullet69 Member

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Shecters are a great value. Sound ,look and feel are very nice. And this is coming from an Ibanez guy! Only reason I havent bought one is that they dont offer locking trems.For the past year or so I havent touched a fixed bridge guitar so buying another would be a waste. Been playing/buying Rg's...Otherwise I;d buy the C-1 Classic in a heartbeat. Comes with SD pups,vine neck inlay,.quilted top etc...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/513072

11. orourke

orourke Member

I can't give you any info on cheaper brand guitars, but I'm curious about your consern that you'll mess up the PRS. Do you play in dive bars where people throw stuff at the band? Do you really not like the PRS and are thinking of selling it? Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to have a second guitar, but I could never show up at a gig or a jam with a cheap guitar and leave a great one sitting at home.

12. theelectic

theelectic Guest

You need to find a store that carries the C1-FR :)

http://schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=14

Come to think of it I'm seriously GASing for one now - swap the pickups with EMGs and I'd be in for way less than any comparable ESP LTD guitar (Original Floyd is a must).

13. MaidenNH

MaidenNH Member

I'm pretty satisfied with my Ibanez S, but if you get one, I'd throw in a different pickup, the stock ones aren't good.

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

First time Ive seen a floyd equiopped Schecter! Now if they would put that trem in the C-1 Classic Id buy one in a heartbeat!:D