Schecter Van Nuys (?) Strat

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Valmont, Aug 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Valmont

Valmont Member

Today, I would like to share some thoughts about an instrument that I want to bring back to life after it was locked away in its case for more than 15 years.

I bought the guitar shown in the pics below in 2002, when I was looking for a substitute for a Schecter neck that had become almost unusable after the years. When I came across the ad of this guitar, it was offered to be a "parts guitar, Schecter neck, unknown body, unknown pickups". This seemed quite consistent to me (two-piece maple body, maple instead of exotic woods, humbucker, tremolo instead of hardtail, rather homemade pickguard that seemed to be produced with nail scissors, differents knobs: not very Schecter-esque!), so there was no reason for further investigation. Eventually, a guitar technican was able to fix the neck on my guitar, so there was no need to change the neck anymore.

As I bought the guitar only because of the neck, I locked it away - unplugged, it sounded very resonant, but the electronics seemed to have suffered seriously- every time I touched the volume knob, the Schecter/ESP-guitar gave me an ear-deafening BZZZZRGGGNZZZZ. The "Parts guitar" disappeared in the storage chamber.

Matters were made worse by the fact that the body of the guitar was covered with some strange paint that turned out to be a greasy mess on higher temperatures (shoe-wax? tar?). So the guitar sat untouched for 16 years.

Inspired by very interesting posts in this forum on Schecter guitars, especially by the enormous knowledge of members here (it is a true delight to read your posts!), I decided to wake up the guitar again and to take a closer look. One bottle of glass cleaner and 5 worn-out T-shirts later, the guitar looked like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Serial number on the neckplate reads S8221. I would have expected it to be turned upside down, with the digits pointing towards the bottom end of the guitar and not towards the neck. You can't have everything.

[​IMG]

2. Valmont

Valmont Member

As I wanted to look behind the curtain, I took off the odd pickguard and.... - surprise, surprise! What was told to be an unknown body turned out to be manufactured by Schecter.

[​IMG]

Removing the neck brought up more details:

[​IMG]

The body is stamped "1002" (the serial number?) Unfortunately, there is no wood code. Above the 4-digit-code, there must have been a sticker - it is a pity that it is lost, as it could have provided information about the origins of this guitar, e.g. about the fact where it was put together.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  3. Valmont

Valmont Member

This is what the neck looks like - stamped "1927" and "F". Does anybody know what these single letters mean? I also saw "D" and "N" stamps.

[​IMG]

Under the pickguard, the situation is like this:

Two Humbuckers - neck pickup with black oder dark green epoxi, Bridge pickup with red epoxi. Could these be period superrock pickups?
    The volume poti is made of camembert cheese, obviously - this heavy corrosion could be responsible of the ugly noises the guitar produces when touching the volume knob.
    Two push-pull-potis, stamped "AB Mod Pot" - I found them in the 1979 Schecter catalogue that can be seen here in the Forum - so at least: Close to Schecter hardware

[​IMG]

Here a short glimpse at the headstock:

[​IMG]

So far for this. As the body is (or at least: seems to be) manufactured by Schecter - what about the pickups and the wiring? The pickguard is obviously homemade by somebody who is not very skilled. But is there a possibility that this guitar was factory made by Schecter? I never heard about humbucker ones, so I am in doubt. Does anybody of you has an idea in which year this guitar was built?

And still a huge question tag for me: what about the orginal pickguard? Was it made of brass?

Many questions - but I am quite eager to bring this guitar back to life! Berlin's long winter nights are yet to come!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  4. foxyguitars

foxyguitars Supporting Member

first : fantastic post @Valmont , thanks for sharing !
    Okay: what you have here is a real genuine schecter: very cool and valuable ;)

the small issues details:
    -volume pot replaced,
    - all knobs replaced,
    -pickguard replaced,
    -neckplate upside down ( just reverse it to correct it !), but not certain that it belongs to this guitar originally
    -pickups have been cleaned and polished so much that the gold finish has worn away completely :(

pickguard material back then for that guitar was likely to be white enamel aluminum or black enamel metal , rarely black plastic although that exists too but unlikely). I may have one of those pickguards in my collection actually.

all this can be fixed sourcing the right parts, the core of your schecter is still here and correct for about 1978 ( numbers on the body and the neck are just serial numbers, they didnt codes back then just yet, and they match probably born as a complete guitar )

cheers from a collector and always a buyer of such cool old schecters ! :)

HelloKittyHawk!, Valmont and lifeson1 like this.
  5. foxyguitars

there's an original pickguard in black metal, I knew I had one somewhere :)

[​IMG]

superrock, Pedal Dan and GGinMP like this.
  6. Valmont

Valmont Member

foxyguitars, thank you very much for this knowledgeable „expert‘s voice“ - the information you provided was extremely helpful for me.
    And concerning the pickguard: incredible! I posted my request at 3pm, and two hours later, my main problem is solved. If life could always be like that...

foxyguitars likes this.
  7. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Awesome old Schecter Valmont, looks really great!
    That's a real nice guitar worth restoring you have there, and foxyguitars is one of the guys here who know a lot about those old instruments.
    Welcome :beer

Valmont likes this.
  8. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Wow, what great looking bones!! Love these old Schecters. They all have such great stories, good luck creating your own narrative for this one. Deserves to be played!!

Valmont likes this.
  9. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

Wow! That’s awesome!

10. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

I had knobs on an old Dream Machine PT that looked an AWFUL lot like those (at least those two bottom dome knobs). Are those push/pull pots that split the buckers? If so, those may be the original knobs too. Reason I know this is because the push pull pots they used had thinner/thicker (can't remember which??) shafts and the original knobs wouldn't fit on the replacements! I still have them....
    LOVE this guitar! I have a Wilcutt Shecter Tele that's one of a pair- the sister is a bass apparently. One piece maple top and a FIR body, or at least that's what I was told. I love that guitar.....but the neck on it is almost unusable as well.

11. stedge

stedge Supporting Member

Fix 'er up because that is a great guitar.

12. foxyguitars

Actually you did have it partially right in the sense that :

the 'omnipots' push pull pots from schecter that were destined for aftermarket (and a lot of superrock pickups), and specifically gibson guitars in particular had a semi knurled shaft that was a bit THINNER in the shaft see picture next to an original schecter brass knob: hence the fit was not ideal, they were a bit smaller than the 1/4 in required for a usa schecter original knob, and more fit to a metric 6mm import knob.

[​IMG]

the non push pull pots from schecter were true to 1/4 in and fit their 1/4 original knob perfectlty. see other pic :)

[​IMG]

but those knobs on that guitar are indeed incorrect ...

... however YES , those push pull pots were a bit thinner and more forgiving on which knob to use , and therefore one could use any import 6mm knob on them :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    superrock and reddgeetarzan like this.
  13. reddgeetarzan

Right on! I had a helluva time finding anything to work! I had a double humbucker PT- it was white (yellow now) with a SUPER birdseye'd neck. If you see it around it has Fender plastic style knobs as we couldn't find anything to fit those pots! GREAT GREAT GREAT sounding pickups though! Usable coil tap in my opinion. I miss that guitar....

HelloKittyHawk! and superrock like this.
  14. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

welcome and beautiful guitar!!!! that will sound like a freight train all dialed in!

HelloKittyHawk! likes this.
  15. foxyguitars

:beer hmm I think I saw your old guitar for sale last year, was the serial S8005 ? went for a pretty penny, yellowed schecter pt with lots wear, lots birdseye on neck, brass parts and white strat knobs :p ?

here is the pic

[​IMG]

16. reddgeetarzan

Yup! That’s the one!!!

HelloKittyHawk! likes this.
  17. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

"The Dream Machine, Hiding in Plain Sight"... incredible!
    Birdseyes, as far as the (human) eye can see!