Schem. for modded Melody Maker

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by MaxBoogie, Aug 26, 2006.

1. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

I'm about to revamp my old '64 Melody maker with new pups and electronics. It's long since been carved up, so I'm not worried about "historical" value.

Since the body wood and shape are similar to an LPjr or old LP Special, I want to put in a dog-eared P-90 in the neck, and a strat-sized 'bucker (or even single coil if recommended) in the bridge.

I want 1 master volume and 1 master tone. Also have the standard LP 3-way pup selector. However, I can get the bridge pup with 4-conductor wiring, so I have some options on coil splitting and phase control, etc.

If I want to get the most tonal options given the above specs, what does anyone recommend as far as layout and hopefully schematics are concerned? Anyone already have a similar setup??

TIA

-MaxBoogie

2. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

Well, I've been rewiring my MM style 65 Epiphone since 1969... I like the way it is now... Duncan Antiquity hbs, 2 volumes w/ 3 way switch.

But I liked the ergonomics of PRS McCarty style wiring... volume, tone (w/push pull for coil cutting), 3 way switch.

I'd be more prone to put a PAF style pu in the neck, move the dogear P90
    to the bridge ala a Junior. Or a Charlie Christian pu in the neck pos with a
    P90 in the bridge (like the John Lennon LP Jr).

Or, if you DO go with the P90 in the neck pos, why not a Firebird style mini hum in the bridge?

[​IMG]

3. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

I've been thinking of moving the switch to where the jack is, and wiring it up to vol-tone-switch, but the idea of moving the jack to the rim (ie drilling the rim, puts me off a bit.

4. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

Nice looking guitars! :)

I alread have a ton of guitars w/humbuckers (full size and minis), and not a one with P-90's, so that's why the P-90. Also the neck position is already routed for a 'bucker/P-90 size, whereas the bridge position only has room for a strat style, like the original pup, and I don't want to do any more routing on the guitar.

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

P90's are hot, actually hotter than a PAF, so I'd go with a SC-sized HB in the bridge. The DiMarzio Pro Track is as close as it gets to a real HB sound in SC format and will balance well with the neck P90 output-wise. It also splits quite nicely, and if you split it to the right coil, it will cancel hum with the P90 in the middle position.

You can use this schematic:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/2h_1v_1t_3w_2pp.html

But ignore the top push/pull and, if you go with the Pro Track, use DiMarzio colour codes instead, so that would be:

Green and bare to ground
    Black and White together to the push/pull
    Red to the switch

Try it like that, and if the middle position is not hum-cancelling when the bridge pu is split, then wire it like this to select the other coil:

Black and bare to ground
    Red and Green together to the push/pull
    Black to the switch

If you also want out-of-phase, add another push/pull and wire it like this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/2h_1v_1t_3w_phase.html

Where the Green and Black wires of the neck pu would correspond to the ground and hot wires of your P90.

EDIT: It's actually better to do the out-of-phase thing to the bridge pu, that way the coil selected when you split it will change when you switch the phase and it will still be hum-cancelling in the middle position. That means that the Green and Black wires of the neck pu in that schematic would correspond to the ground and hot wires of the bridge pu, with the bare always going to ground.

6. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

Here's an earlier pic..
    [​IMG]
    DiMarzio Super Distortion in the neck, SDS Strat pu in the bridge, 2 vols, 3 way switch. Notice that I moved the output jack position when I cut the tortoiseshell pickguard (the pictured pickguard was non-original black).

Can you tell that this was in the mid 70's... Grover tuners, Badass, Dimarzio pus, gold speed knobs. It wasn't long before I switched (back) to 2 humbuckers.

7. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

I really appreciate your input here. You definitely went the extra yard to give me plenty of details... much appreciated.

Interesting about your edit on the phasing. I was fairly set to do the phasing on the P90, and the split coils on the bridge pup. That way when using only the P90, it doesn't matter which phase is selected, and likewise with only the bridge pup selected. However I didn't think about both selected and splitting too much. In that instance, you get either a hum-cancelling sound, or a serial connection that might introduce EXTRA hum... I'll have to ponder that a little more... :)

8. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

Nice!

Here's how Gibson was doing it by the 70's:

[​IMG]

My '64 is the classic Translucent Cherry and once I finish this project I'll put up a pic on that one. They're both fabulous players, just a little lacking in the tone department which I expect to take care of once and for all here! :D

9. BrandonT

BrandonT Member