Schematic help?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Chuckracer, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

I'm trying to wire up a strat style guitar with a four conducter Cool Rail at the neck and a Custom 5 humbucker at the bridge, also four conductor.
    I am using a strat 3 way switch and a 500k push/pull pot.

I've checked all the usual suspects on line, to no avail. How on earth do I do this??

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/hum_sing_hum_vol_tone_spl.html

If you just want one tone control, that's it. If you want two, the light grey wire that goes from the tone pot to the vol pot should go to the pu hot wire for each of the pu's that will have a tone control.

If doing it that way doesn't give you hum cancellation in #2 and #4 (depends on your middle pu), take the wire that goes to ground on the right side of the switch and connect it to the bottom lug on the left side instead.

Finally, it won't make much of a difference with the Cool Rails, but you may want to experiment with the position (normal or turned around 180 degrees, logo upside down) of the Custom 5 to get the right quack in #4. Depending on which coil is selected in that position (outer or inner) you will get a different tone, most people preferring inner, me not liking either but thinking that outer is closer to where the single coil pu is in a S/S/S Strat, YMMV.

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

One cool configuration I use with my Tele is to run both pickups in series with one out-of-phase. In your case you'd have to sacrifice one of the other useful positions unless you bring your pull-pot into the mix - and possibly replace the stock 5 way with the Allparts 5-way Super Switch.

DJ

4. Chuckracer

Hmm...nope, that's not the schematic. This is for H/S, both four conductor, with only the one knob (Vol) being a push/pull, and a three way blade switch. I want to be able to split the coils.

Thanks for the info Clorenzo and donnyjaguar!

5. Chuckracer

OK, I think I have most of this sussed. I guess my main question is can I split both pickups w/one push-pull pot?

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Sorry, as you said "Strat style" I assumed it was 3 pickups.

Take this one:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/2hum_vol_tone_3way-w-split.html

Combine with this one for the wiring of the switch:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/std_tele.html

And do for the neck pu the same thing they do for the bridge using the free (left on the diagram) side of the push/pull. Again, if you want hum cancellation with both pu's on and split, depending on the magnetic polarities, you may want to bring the neck red/white to ground or to the black wire.

7. Chuckracer

Very Cool, thank You!!!