Schematic help...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by tookermel, Jan 22, 2008.

1. tookermel

tookermel Member

Could someone please either send me/show me a wiring schematic for a standard Strat configuration (S/S/S) - I'd like the bridge pickup to be wired to a tone pot only, the neck and middle pups can bypass it. I'm using 250k CTS pots and Fralin Vintage Hot pickups. I'm not the most technically knowledgeable, but I'm good at soldering and following directions. Lol...

Thank you in advance!

-Tookermel

2. sega

sega Member

3. tookermel

tookermel Member

Thank you, Sega, but isn't that one wired for all pickups to be on a Tone pot? If so, how do make the necessary changes to remove the middle and neck pups so they're not connected to any tone pot?

Thanks,
    -Tookermel

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Ok this should do it. You basically want to disconnect the the neck and middle pickups from the tone pots. And connect the lead pickup (before the switch) to a tone pot. Don't forget to ground the back of the pots. Use the cap of your choice. Either a .033, .047, or .050. I guess you know you'll have one pot with nothing connected to it. The red X indicate which wires need to be omitted in the new circuit.

The first diagram is a standard strat wiring. The second has the mod you wanted. Notice the difference? You can connect the tone cap to the lead pickup's hot anywhere before the switch. Either of the previous tone pots can be used for the new tone control. Just wire it up as I drew it. Let me know how it turns out.

[​IMG]

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Here's Seymour's diagram, but what I do is run a wire from the last tone pot to the bridge tone lug (third up from the bottom on the right). Then I run one from the middle pot across the neck/middle lugs (first and second from the bottom on the right). This puts the neck and middle tone on the mid pot and the bridge tone on the last pot. I'd draw this out, but I don't know how on the computer. I should probably post a pic of one of mine.

[​IMG]

6. tookermel

tookermel Member

Ok....I know this is a couple of months old, but I wanted to pick it up again. Didn't thank everyone who contributed a response, so thanks!

Anyway, the first diagram looks like what I'm wanting, and if it will allow me to have the neck and middle pickups wired to only the volume, and the bridge pickup wired to the volume, AND the bottom tone, knob, then I'm golden. I just wanna make sure as I've seen several schematics, a couple of which weren't for what I'm asking. Thanks...

-Tookermel

7. tookermel

tookermel Member

Quick question.....when grounding all those wires to the volume pot, do they all have to be in the same solder bead? Or is it ok as long as they're grounded somewhere on that pot? Notice they're separated on the first diagram, but going to the same spot on the second one.

-Tookermel