School me about loopers - info needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by john b, Jan 29, 2008.

1. john b

john b Supporting Member

I'm putting together a new pedal board and am wondering about loopers. I get the basic idea that by running effects on different loops you shorten the signal path and isolate effects from each other. On a board that has around 10 effects - wah/comp/3 o.d's/2 delays/trem - is it really useful or necessary to do this? It seems like many huge boards are looped and the smaller ones aren't.

I was checking out Loopmaster's site and was wondering what's the difference between a 2 loop box and a 2 loop box with master bypass? If both loops are off, isn't the signal going straight to the amp? Also, when you have things in a loop, are the effects always on and the loop switch controls them?

School me on this one, maybe I'm just looking for a way to spend some more jack and take up more room on my board?

2. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

Hey john...
    Don't know about the Loopmaster products, but I use a ToneJones A/B 2 Looper and group my modulation effects on one loop and my dirt boxes on the other. I've mixed and matched, but basically you can set your modulation effects prior to the beginning of a song and turn them on, but then switch them in and out using your looper during the middle of a song. ToneJones sells these for $59-$69 depending if you catch it right on ebay. He lives down the street from me, so if you're interested, I can probably get you one.
    [​IMG]

3. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I think the 2 loop box with Master bypass is if you want to get to your clean amp sound with 1 footswitch stomp. Instead of toogling to other two off.

4. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

or, if you have a noisy pedal or bad buffer, you can put it in a loop to isolate it from the signal path when off. I see that a lot on small boards too.

5. john b

john b Supporting Member

Thanks. I figured the master bypass is just an easier way of doing it. Why then do some folks run 4 or 5 loops on a pedal board? Seems like if you have a few loops on at once you're lengthening the signal path.

6. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I started out looking at a 2 loop looper but wanted an A/B switch for my tuner also. Then someone offered me this 4 loop Loooper with a tuner out for cheap so I went for it.

The fundamental point of a looper for me is to be able to cut out all my pedals and go basically right into the amp.

A really nice advantage is if you like fuzz. Fuzz likes to come right after your guitar. So with a looper, I can have both of my 2 fuzzes coming up first, depending which loop is on.

click on pic to enlarge. The board is missing the Lovepedal BBB07 on the lower left.

[​IMG]