School me:Looking for a Audio sampler/Synth keyboard

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jesus freak, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

I dont really know what I need or want. Im looking for a 24 key device that will make crazy,cool sounds, and maybe able to loop recorded guitar/bass tracks through. So School Me. Also will it need to be hooked up to a computer? Or is it a stand alone keyboard?

2. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

Check out the Yamaha Motif XF6 61-note or othe similar Yamaha starting with the ES6

3. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

You can probably do some really cool stuff with a computer and any old USB Midi keyboard and interface. Look into that.

If you have a Mac, for what you want to do, Logic might be a no-brainer. You can not BELIEVE how many sounds are in there for only 300 clams.

4. blewis

blewis Member

... and your head will EXPLODE when you realize it's now only $200!:)

I haven't been keyboard shopping in a while, but I think if you want a 2 octave board that does sampling, you're probably in Korg micro territory. Anything else I'm aware of that's 2 octaves is virtual analog or all analog and doesn't haven sampling.

You might also look on ebay for these old Roland phrase samplers. You might be able to get something really cheap to play with.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

What do you have right now?

Firstly: I don't know anything about doing this using a stand alone keyboard.
    Secondly: You might want to separate the making cool sounds and looping into two different devices.

But if you go the computer route:
    If you get a midi keyboard you can use it with VSTs (virtual instruments). You can produce basically any sound imaginable.
    You can also loop using free programs (mobius looper) or Ableton.
    You will need an audio interface to get sounds in and out of your computer.

If you go analog you could just get a keyboard and a looper. Just go to musician's friends and look at the keyboards there.

6. Jesus freak

I dont have anything yet. Im a total noob at this!! So the midi keyboard will work with a computer program? Can you explain more about audio interface?
    (All I have is a normal PC and some cheap monitor speakers)

7. Jesus freak