School me on acoustic-electrics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by charmonder, Feb 20, 2015.

1. charmonder

charmonder Member

I want something pretty nice to
    -have to write songs on acoustically
    -electric output sounds good enough to record directly.
    -hopefully sounds good enough when running as an electric guitar with the band, through amps and pedals and stuff, not a PA.
    -hopefully has an on-board tuner &or eq whatever, not sure, doesn't matter as long as it has a good 1/4" output I can probably just stick a tuner in the hard shell case so whatever

my favorite acoustic tone is big star "thirteen" and I saw my bloody valentine a few times I noticed he used a takamine of some sort to play "sometimes" it sounded like he had a thick distortion like a big muff yet there was no feedback

What do you think I should be looking for?

2. BigSB

BigSB Member

Carvin makes a hybrid acoustic-electric that has unbelievable tones for both and is cheaper than the Taylor T5. One or two companies make budget versions OF the T5.

The Peavey Generation tele-style that has the piezo pickup in the bridge is a good-sounding electric and the acoustic tone is solid if not great.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

What's your budget?

Given your requirements I'd say you might be better served by a regular electric hollow body or even a semi-hollow. That way you could get acoustic tones for quiet songwriting and convincing electric tones for the band. Gretsch has some very tempting guitars like this (G100CE in particular).

Ovation used to be the one to go to for the situation you describe. I'm not a big fan but some people like them. Dean, Seagull, Takamine and even Taylor have fairly decent acoustic-electrics in the mid-price area ($500-1500)

The Carvin acoustic-electric mentioned above is pretty decent. I came close to buying one used a few years ago but I couldn't talk the used guitar salesman down from his $750 firm price for it. Like many Carvin guitars, people either hate or love them. The good part about the "hate" part is you can find them used relatively frequently. I've seen a few on eBay recently at around $500.

I just did a setup on a Takamine Jasmine for a friend of my wife's who does occasionally does the P&W strum and sing thing. The guitar was kind of blah tonally, a bit too thin and bright, and the electronics seemed a bit dicey (hopefully I have that fixed up now). I'd say if you go low end, prepare to see some compromises somewhere. I think they build a lot of these guitars for looks more than playing.

I own an Ibanez Talman acoustic-electric and a "vintage" Kramer Ferrington. Neither sound that great acoustically nor amplified. They look nice though. My go to noddling around acoustic is my 70's Hohner classical. I've been looking at the Cordoba and Kremona classical acoustic-electrics, nice, but a little too pricey for my current guitar budget.

4. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Almost anything will work for this.

I have yet to find an acoustic/electric whose pickup sounds good enough to record directly. I'll do it in a pinch just to get an idea down quickly, but to me, it's always worth the trouble to place a mic in front of it.

For this, a hybrid would probably be your best bet. Look at Godin, Carvin, and Taylor.

Another alternative would be to get an electric guitar with an under-saddle piezo pickup and run it through a Fishman Aura pedal to get the acoustic tone.