School me on Blankenship Variplex

pulse.

Gold Supporting Member
Happy new year everyone! I recently sold my Jrt9/15 to finance a marshall flavoured head.
I'm located in europe, where I can get a 1959hw for 1550€, which for now is my no1 candidate.
There's also a used Blankenship Variplex on reverb for 2090€.
I cannot find clips for low-mid gain sounds, it seems that most go for higher gain tones than the ones
I'm after. Will it do classic 60's rock blues tones well? First 3 Allman brothers LPs for example.
Also anyone has any pics from guts and transformers? Or any clue what Roy is (was) using?

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
Roy's builds are great. The variplex allows to get those VH type tones but I believe it's still great for 60's British tones.

MHG

It sounds like his JTM45 is more in line with what you're after. I love mine! I have three of Roy's amps, and they're all really amazing.

tcIQIHj.jpg

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
It sounds like his JTM45 is more in line with what you're after. I love mine! I have three of Roy's amps, and they're all really amazing.

tcIQIHj.jpg

LMAO, you posted as I was typing. ;)

:beer

Reactions: MHG

MHG

I had the Variplex, with the variac and all, many years ago. Too long ago to be able to make an attempt at a detailed description. My overarching impression is that it had a pretty tight feel, and that it was really warm. Too warm, smooth, and tight for my taste.

I now have his Leeds 21, JTM45 (El34), and JTM45 (4xEL84). Just gorgeous amps!

pulse.

Gold Supporting Member

tcIQIHj.jpg
You might be right but now secondhand is my only optio on US boutique builders and I can only find the variplex and some leeds.

MHG

You might be right but now secondhand is my only optio on US boutique builders and I can only find the variplex and some leeds.

The Leeds is an amazing 18w style amp, and is probably also more in line with what you're looking for than the Variplex. If you're OK with the wattage, the Leeds is really, really nice. The 18w is one of those "must have" amps imo. It's just such a versatile, and amazing sounding little amp. Roy uses Mercury Magnetics by the way.

zzzzzzz

Gold Supporting Member
I’d love to try some other Blankenship amps besides the Twinplex that I’ve got. The Twinplex that I’ve got is the 170w version and it doesn’t disappoint. Just massive tone. It can make my bigger Matchless and Aiken amps sound small.

If Roy’s other amps are anything like my Twinplex then I’m sure they are amazing

Trending Topics

Top Bottom